Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: What to use for glue?  (Read 6398 times)

Offline joebulb

• New Member!
What to use for glue?
« on: October 28, 2002, 09:35:00 pm »
Please excuse me if this was covered in the past. I have an old bulb in which the brass base has become unglued from the glass. There is room to get some type of glue back down there but I dont know what to use...Was thinking an epoxy but that would get soft under heat wouldn't it??..Any help welcome!..Thanks

Offline James

• www.lamptech.co.uk
What to use for glue?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2002, 01:11:00 pm »
Hi Joe,

What size bulb do you have, and how many watts is it rated at?  Also do you know if it is gasfilled or vacuum type and if the filament is carbon or tungsten?  Then it will give me an idea how hot it will run and whether or not you can get away with epoxy.

Normally you are right that epoxy wouldn't take the heat, but unfortunately the proper cement material is not commercially available.  It is made from scratch in each lamp factory so there is a limited range of what adhesives you can get your hands on!

James.

Offline joebulb

• New Member!
What to use for glue?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2002, 09:22:00 pm »
Thanks for the info...The bulb is a nite light base 120 volt. The filament may be carbon....bulb is frosted and painted so its hard to tell...May have an exhaust tip at the end but probably its just a tungston candle-abra bulb any use though would be just for show...maybe a minute or two...Joe

Offline James

• www.lamptech.co.uk
What to use for glue?
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2002, 08:13:00 am »
For a small candelabra based bulb like that it won't get very hot at all.  I am sure you will get away with using ordinary epoxy glue :-)

Offline Poppa Bill bulbs

What to use for glue?
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2002, 11:11:00 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by joebulb:
Please excuse me if this was covered in the past. I have an old bulb in which the brass base has become unglued from the glass. There is room to get some type of glue back down there but I dont know what to use...Was thinking an epoxy but that would get soft under heat wouldn't it??..Any help welcome!..Thanks

If Iam doing this right in reply to Joebulb I had a aerolux bulb with a loose base and used a finger nail [clear] product called hard as nails. so far bulb still works.

[This message has been edited by Poppa Bill bulbs (edited November 18, 2002).]
Poppa Bill