Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Pre 1900 Bulbs  (Read 18358 times)

Offline RobotTodd

• New Member!
Pre 1900 Bulbs
« on: February 13, 2010, 09:04:47 pm »
I have come across some bulbs from quite a while ago.
No clue about the major details, because some don't have any identification.

Couple bulbs say: Pat. May 9, 1893 Novak 115 v. 25 c.p.
No real clue what c.p. stands for.
There's two of those for sure. (bunch of others no label)

Another one labeled: Packard 16/105

If interested in more info on these and my others. Reply or send an email directly to me at: abesimpson@comcast.net

My camera isn't all that great. So what I will do is upload a video on youtube for anyone who is interested.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 12:40:13 am by RobotTodd »
My name isn't Robert!!!!!!!!! It's "Robot" and "Todd" put together. Just a nickname I use.

Offline RobotTodd

• New Member!
Re: Pre 1900 Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 12:41:53 am »
Here is a link to the pictures I took of the bulbs:

http://s645.photobucket.com/albums/uu176/Robottodd/Antique%20Bulbs/?start=0
My name isn't Robert!!!!!!!!! It's "Robot" and "Todd" put together. Just a nickname I use.

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 02:38:34 pm »
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing the pictures.  I'm drooling all over the keyboard as I look over these pictures!  This is an awesome collection of early bulbs and you'll really need to do your research on each one before parting with them.  You just may want to keep them!  I see many rare and valuable lamps here, mainly the three early Mather-Perkins lamps (photo 31).  Others appear to be fitted with the Mather-Perkins type base that also makes them desirable.  The Novak lamp is scarce and a description of this lamp appeared in the June 2nd, 1892 issue of the Electrical Engineer:

The "Novak" Incandescent Lamp.- Some further details are now to hand with respect to the latest addition to the ranks of incandescent lamps outside the Edison patents, and a brief note upon which appeared a fortnight ago. The inventor, Mr. John Waring, says that in all lamps where a vacuum is not employed, but where instead the bulbs are filled with a gas which does not chemically attack the carbon filaments, yet the "air washing," as he terms it, or the rapid passage of gas molecules over the highly-heated surface of the carbon (due, presumably, to convection currents), will produce rapid disintegration of the filaments; besides which a great amount of energy is carried off in the shape of heat, because of these currents or eddies in the gaseous atmosphere of each bulb. Accordingly, he employs a gas of great specific density, so that the loss of heat from the carbon may be reduced of course, care is also taken to use a gas which has no injurious chemical effect upon the carbon. Mr. Waring finds the best results to be obtained from a gas consisting of the vapour of bromine or iodine, or a mixture of both.

Waring's patent can be viewed at this link.

The three festoon lamps are very interesting to me and represent early forms of miniature decorative lighting, before the advent of the socketed Christmas lamp.

What is written on the label on the bulb shown in picture #14?  It would also be nice to see some better pictures showing the bottom of bulb's bases.

Offline RobotTodd

• New Member!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 06:57:31 pm »
I made a video of the bulbs. Towards the end I talk about the 14th bulb in the pictures you asked about Tim.
Thanks for the reply btw.

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYbBdGE6Q74

Offline Christmas Lamp

• Purple Bubble Light
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 02:49:49 pm »
BRILLIANT Photos Thanks For Sharing...
Like Tim The Festoon Lamps are very Intersing to me as I'm VERY Interested in ALL Chrismas Lamps and Sets...
I love Any Bulbs be They the Light up kind or the kind that Grows!!!

Offline RobotTodd

• New Member!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 06:16:33 pm »
By your name alone I can tell your interested in Christmas Lighting!

Offline RobotTodd

• New Member!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 09:21:35 pm »
I took more pictures. Here's the second album:
http://s645.photobucket.com/albums/uu176/Robottodd/Antique%20Bulbs%202/

First album was taken with a 2 MP camera and the second is a 4 MP camera... until I get a real pricey digital camera, this may be the best I can do.
I will keep trying to bring the best updated pictures as possible.

Offline RobotTodd

• New Member!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 07:47:17 pm »
Sold!

Thanks to everyone for all the offers.

I am very grateful for all the help!

Thanks again! 

Offline Brightspark

• New Member!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 07:08:22 am »
These are really interesting, I am trying to identify a bulb myself it is quite difficult and this site is so much help.  Well done guys