Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: I'd like help indentifying this industrial bulb  (Read 11087 times)

Offline NSIndustry

• New Member!
I'd like help indentifying this industrial bulb
« on: June 10, 2009, 02:11:03 pm »
This bulb is about 10" high from its smooth, round top to its square brass base. The elaborate filament is about an inch and a half wide and about 4" long down to the base. It looks like it could have been lighting for a factory. There is no brand name on it anywhere. "H-1" is written by hand inside the bulb in black ink on the base that holds the filament and "S5" on the other side. There are no other marks.

I'd appreciate help in learning more about this bulb, what it could have been used for, what vintage.

Offline adam2

Re: I'd like help indentifying this industrial bulb
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 08:57:47 am »
The relativly compact fliament suggests that this bulb is for a projector  or some similar application.
Bulbs for general lighting usually have a more spread out filament, which is cheaper to manufacter and works just as well if focussing via an optical system is not needed.

Very unusual base though.

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 04:15:17 pm »
Strange looking base indeed.  Perhaps the square shape that we see is actually part of a socket assembly that the bulb is fastened to.  These types of bulbs usually either had a pre-focus base or mogul Edison base.

Offline James

• www.lamptech.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 01:01:15 am »
This is a fairly old marine signalling lamp used on military ships, known as the Sperry Lamp.  The base is a special pre-focussed type known as the Sperry Block, I believe the name comes from the manufacturer of the searchlight equipment.  It is rated 80V 1500W.

It first made an appearance in the 1950s.  Around 1975 it was superseded by a tungsten halogen 1300W version having the same base, which was manufactured until about 1995 when this type became generally obsolete.  From the construction, it looks like it your lamp was made by British Thomson-Houston during the 1950's.

Offline NSIndustry

• New Member!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 03:33:23 pm »
Thanks James for that very detailed answer. What is the source of this information? I'd like to know more.

NSIndustry

Offline James

• www.lamptech.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 12:58:45 pm »
I dont know of this info being documented anywhere.  i used to work in the factory where it would have been made and picked up this info from some of the older engineers who developed this and its more modern halogen successor.

Offline sailormoon_01_uk

• New Member!
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 03:55:36 am »
Your Lamp is a NATO, Sperry Block Lamp, they were specially designed for use in Searchlights and Morse Signalling Lights on Naval Battleships and Patrol Boats, I have a couple of later Thorn Halogen versions see photo.

Your Lamp is a Early Possible Osram GEC or Thorn 80 volts 1500 watts Sperry Block Incandescent Lamp, This Lamp used for Navel Searchlights and Morse Signaling Lights, NATO Ref No 6240-99-996-9809.

The Lamp I have is a Thorn HX114 230 volts 1300 watts Sperry Block Tungsten Halogen Lamp, This Lamp used for Navel Searchlights and Morse Signaling Lights, NATO Ref No 6240-99-776-4365.

Hope this Helps

All the Best

Colin