Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: i have a strange light bulb  (Read 6261 times)

Offline mantoclivia

• New Member!
i have a strange light bulb
« on: November 15, 2009, 06:58:31 am »
My father gave me a russian commemorative light bulb, that commemorate 50 years from russian revolusion from 1917. He said there are just 50 pieces in entire world, it have inside the number 50 and a cannon model. I `d like to know if you have heard something about and how valuable can it be. Thank you.

Offline Chris Kocsis

Re: i have a strange light bulb
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 12:17:25 pm »
Hi, this is a nice glow lamp and it does indeed represent the 50th anniversary of the revolution.  The shape in front of the 50 is the ship Aurora.  Here is a snippet from Wikipedia:

"On 25 October 1917, the refusal of an order for the Aurora to take to sea sparked the October Revolution. At 9.45 p.m. on that date, a blank shot from her forecastle gun signalled the start of the assault on the Winter Palace, which was to be the last episode of the October Revolution. Aurora's crew actually took part in the attack."

The bulb was made in the Ukraine about 1967.  The same manufacturer made at least one more design commemorating the revolution; it has a star above the outline of the Kremlin (there is a picture of such a bulb on this site under neon lamps) and supposedly there is a third design that I have never seen.

I doubt very much that only 50 were made.  I have seen at least two like yours and of the star/Kremlin design (of which I have had two). 

Happy collecting!

Chris