Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: What is this bulb  (Read 7255 times)

Offline itsAldri

• New Member!
What is this bulb
« on: October 18, 2018, 06:28:11 pm »
Was in a storage unit I purchased anyone have an idea on what kind this is??
Thanks

Offline adam2

Re: What is this bulb
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 10:25:18 am »
Looks like a relatively modern type to me, though they have been made for many years to the same basic design.
Needs special control gear.
Extremely bright and compact. Used for special purposes including cinema projection and searchlights.

I doubt that it has any collectable value, but these are very expensive so might be worth a fair bit to anyone who has a use for it, rather than as a collectible.

Please handle with great care THESE LAMPS CONTAIN A GREAT PRESSURE, AND IF MISHANDLED OR DEFECTIVE THEY CAN EXPLODE WITHOUT WARNING, EVEN WHEN COLD AND NOT LIT. AS A MINIMUM WEAR A FULL FACE VISOR AND THICK OVERALLS WHEN HANDLING THIS LAMP.

Offline Alexander

• New Member!
Re: What is this bulb
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 02:57:54 pm »
Hello
This lamp is an Xenon Short arc lamp. It is a lamp that run under a pressure of max 100bar when hot. The lamp Voltage is very low, around 20-40VDC, the current is so very high. The Length of the Arc is very short, perhaps max. 9mm.
Those lamp were used in Cinema projectors and scientific lighting. They came in power ranges from 0.45KW up to 30KW.

They lamps were introduced 1954 by the German Osram company. No there are several makers. I think your lamp was made by Ushio.

The lamp is under high pressure. Always use protective gear when handling those lamps. The can shatter all time and cause harmful injury.

Yor lamp is inan protective plastic cover, let it in there, then there is no Danger.
Passionated Lamp collector.

For Technical Information, please contact me.