BULB DISCUSSION BOARDS > Christmas Lighting

Modern Bubble lights from Simply Lighting.

(1/3) > >>

Chris W. Millinship:
I recently submitted a link to this site, for decorative lighting company Simply Lighting, primarily for their range of new type bubble lights. I ordered some of the more traditional style multicolour ones which arrived today. I thought I`d post some pictures and details here so if anyone else wants to get some they`d have an idea of what they`re like. They resemble, as far as I can tell, vintage Paramount Tulip C7 types. The other types of bubble lights that Simply Lighting have are the new style angular ones with mainly transparent bodies, and as of yet I don`t have any of those.

They are sets of 7 bulbs, and are the large C7 type, each bulb burns independantly. The lamp spacing is 20 inches which allows the lights to be spaced out on your tree among your other lights. They`re big, bright and eye-catching...

This shows the bubbling action- actully it`s better than this in reality.
Well there you go- hope this info is of some use to anyone wishing to purchase any of these lights in the near future.

-chris

(if any of these pics aren`t showing up properly, this is because of problems that my image host have been experiencing recently, hopefully resolved very soon)

[This message has been edited by Chris Millinship (edited September 21, 2000).]

Tim:
Hiya Chris,

The pictures look great - I like the animation! I get a ton of email from others curious about purchasing new bubble lights and this will be helpful with Christmas fast approaching. How would you rate the quality of these lights? I purchased a new set last year at a local hardware mall and nearly all of the lights in the set were duds and were of horrible quality. The ones in your pictures look a lot nicer. I didn't keep the set I had so I couldn't tell you who produced them......

------------------
-Tim

Chris W. Millinship:
Well I`m not too familiar with the general quality of new American lights as I`ve not got any others yet  , but they look pretty good to me, I`d say probably 7 (maybe 8) out of 10.
The only major complaint I have is the adhesive they use to hold the bubble tubes in is a bit brittle and one tube has become slightly loose, but it`s not actually a big problem especially if you`re careful with`em. I suppose a minor complaint is that there`s not much lead in wire from the male plug, but I think this is to retain even lamp spacing when end-to-end chaining multiple sets and is probably common on most sets that can be chained like this. Finally sometimes one or two don`t start bubbling so need a bit of a shake, but maybe it`s common to all bubble lights (these are my very first so I don`t know- anyone?) or perhaps cos they`re new? They`re all bubbling nicely right now though, just beside me here, and looking good!
Overall I`m pleased with them and will definately be buying more from Simply Lighting in the future I think.

Glad to have been of some use here!

-chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Millinship (edited September 21, 2000).]

Chris W. Millinship:
I have recently got some more of the Simply Lighting bubble lights, for those interested here`s what thery`re like...

These are clear bodied bubblers that have transparent coloured bulbs and coloured bubble tubes, they`re avaliable in red and blue and it seems the blue are different from the picture on the website, but are actually nicer in my opinion. I couldn`t really afford more whole sets so just got the replacement bulbs....

Finally this is a great set of MINI bubblelites. It`s a set of 10 series wired minilites and has covers that fit over each bulb with a 2-inch (approx.) bubble tube coming out of it and a fixing clip on the bottom. The bubble tubes are protected and held in place by clear plastic covers. The light sockets go in at right angles to the bubble tubes so the filaments of the bulbs are right under the end of the tubes for the best bubbling effect possible. They look really good and would be ideal for brightening up your small tabletop tree.

I just thought I`d post the details of these new additions to my collection for the same reason I posted the multicolor bubblelight set- so others can see what they`re really like if they want some for themselves. If I get others I`ll post them too, just hope the details are of any use to anyone...?

------------------

-chris

http://members.ebay.co.uk/aboutme/chrismillinship

James:
Do any of you guys know anything about the making of the glass bubble tubes?  I am pretty sure that all they are is a glass tube filled with dyed methylene chloride, and often containing a bit of sand to stimulate the liquid to boil, but when I've made them before they don't usually work as well as the ones you can buy.  Some of mine are OK but others are a dismal failure even though I think I've made them all exactly the same.  You seem to have to pump out the glass tube to partial vacuum, and the gas pressure remaining seems to have to be very critical as to whether or not they work well.

I've never seen any documentation on how they work or are made but I'd be really interested to know if anyone understands a bit of the technical side relating to these things!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version