Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Vintage NOMA Christmas lights found, worth anything ?  (Read 14237 times)

Offline adam2

Vintage NOMA Christmas lights found, worth anything ?
« on: February 22, 2010, 10:21:48 am »
I have recently obtained a case of vintage NOMA SNOWMAN Christmas lights.
Original outer case contains 12 sets each of 20 lamps series wired 12 volt 1.1 watts.
All in perfect condition in original packaging.
Have not tested, but presumed in good working order as never been used.

Are they worth anything ? Not certain about the legality of re-selling to any member of the public as I dont think that they conform to present day safety standards (single insulated wire and no fitted plug)

Offline Yulelights76

• The Yule Lights Collection
Re: Vintage NOMA Christmas lights found, worth anything ?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 10:58:19 am »
First, since the sets are in original boxes and unused, they would be worth top dollar. From your description, I would guess early 1960s to 1980 for a date. Need to see how sets were made for a closer date.
The loop style is the same as what G.E. did with their sets sold from early 1960s to 1977.
You mention the sets have 20 bulbs at 12 volts this would make them 220 volt sets unless wired as 2 strings of 10 bulbs. You should test one set to verify voltage rating.
I understand your concern with safety considering the horror stories in the U.S.A. regarding childrens toys. As I understand, as long as the set met safety standards in effect whan manufactured, it is considered "grandfathered".

J.S.Pilliteri
Creator, The Yule Lights Collection.

Offline Chris W. Millinship

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 03:45:23 pm »
Just from the bulb ratings, these sound like they could be a product of Noma UK - a manufacturer who are still going today, and who have been producing lights for the UK market for decades. No fitted plug suggests being sold in and around the 1980s, as before then, a lot of decoration light sets were supplied with bayonet lamp-base plugs, and I believe double insulated wiring was introduced at the beginning of the 90s. Any chance of seeing some photos?

As a collector, I would certainly be interested in one (or two), but have no idea what their value could be. Typically the small-bulb sets do not fetch as much as the old larger 12-bulb sets do, except in the case of rare and collectible lights such as those produced by Pifco, which are routinely fought over by us collectors. Don`t know why, but Noma-UK sets never seem to attract quite so much attention in comparison. Mint boxed sets should attract a better price than normal of course, and there will certainly be an interest among collectors..

As for legality of sale, I see Ebay auction descriptions quite frequently referring to "the plug has been removed" and "consult a qualified electrician" implying that they should be sold as non-functional collectible items only, and not for use unless checked by a professional. This can be quite frustrating for the collector when an original factory-supplied vintage plug gets removed, but is understandable from the seller`s point of view. Thankfully not too many of the really old sets have their old bayonet plugs removed, and as you say, these ones have no plugs to begin with - so long as they are sold as collectibles only, there should be nothing to worry about..
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:11:33 am by adam2 »

Offline adam2

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 11:25:07 am »
Yes, the lights are 20 lamps each 12 volts intended for UK mains of 240 volts.
The outer carton is addressed to "NOMA WEYBRIDGE UK"

Offline joetraff

• New Member!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 11:27:01 pm »
Good to know that.
Keep us posted.
I'm a web designer and here are two of my sites
how to make money online and
debt solutions