Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Transformer christmas light strings  (Read 11886 times)

Offline evanssa

• New Member!
Transformer christmas light strings
« on: February 24, 2010, 06:13:21 pm »
Greetings All -

Just joined the forum although I have been aware/lurking on kilokat's site for a number of years. I remember growing up in the 60's that my folks had a number of Christmas light strings that were low voltage and used the C6 cone lamps but were wired in parallel and had a small transformer between the mains and the string. Has anyone else run into those or have any pictures of them? I've been looking for a long time to see if I can acquire a string or two of those but no luck.

Thanks,
Scott 

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Re: Transformer christmas light strings
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 07:38:57 pm »
Welcome to the forum Scott.  Last summer I acquired a number of these sets.  I'd be happy to part with them if you are interested.  Email me if interested.

Offline herbert

• New Member!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 02:29:47 am »
Hi,
Although I don't have a photo, could these low voltage lights be the answer to my question posed under the thread 'newbee with a couple of questions'? I am UK based and see that you are both US. Did such lights exist my side of the pond, or have I come across a set that made the trip for some reason?  Best wishes

Offline evanssa

• New Member!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 12:42:43 pm »
Hi Herbert,

I read your original post and I'm not sure if I can accurately answer your question. The light sets I'm familiar with from my childhood had the transformer permanently in-line with the low voltage side coming out of the transformer. The transformer itself was a sealed unit about the size of a pack of cigarettes. If your strings have a spade connector on the end, they might be of U.S. origin. The real question is whether the bulbs are of the C6 or C7 type. If they are C7, that would account for the parallel wiring and the spade connector at the end.

Regards,
Scott

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 06:11:52 pm »

Offline herbert

• New Member!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 05:21:04 am »
Hi Scott,

The string would take c6 bulbs if that helps. The set however looks nothing like Tim's photo. The holders are 'chunkier' and are the same in size as a typical UK 12 bulb 240 volt set from the 50's / 60's. The spade connectors which are on the ends of each wire look to be original, and rather cleverly screw on to the wiring, meaning no soldering or even screw driver required.

Best wishes

David (long story why I am Herbert on the 'net!)