Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: 1000 Watt Bulb  (Read 13244 times)

Offline Kathie

• New Member!
1000 Watt Bulb
« on: May 10, 2004, 04:21:00 pm »
I have a 1000 Watt GE bulb.  It is clear glass in the shape of a reular bulb.  The difference is that it is 12" tall and 6" at its widest part.  The base fits into the old style tri-light.  This bulb was found in an old warehouse.  Also, it works.  I would welcome any information about this bulb.

Thanks, Kathie
Kathie

Offline Yoshi

1000 Watt Bulb
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 05:20:00 am »
How do I add custom avatars? The feature doesn't seem to be working

Offline LightLab

• New Member!
1000 Watt Bulb
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 03:47:00 pm »
Hi Kathie,

I recently found exactly the same lamp as shown in Yoshi's picture. The brand of my lamp is Ekco ensign electric Ltd (made in Britain TJH 1000W) and is still in its original box. Unfortunately I do not know what the lamp is for, but the place I found it may indicate something, as it was in the old photographic room of a university in London. However, I am still not sure what it was used for and would like to know. So if anyone out there can tell me, please let us know. I am particularly interested around which year the lamp was made. (Also I found a lot of old but clearly never used projector lamps in their original boxes, are they interesting?) Thanks a lot,

Marcus

Offline Carl Wright

1000 Watt Bulb
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 01:02:00 am »
quote:
Originally posted by LightLab:
Hi Kathie,

Unfortunately I do not know what the lamp is for, but the place I found it may indicate something, as it was in the old photographic room of a university in London.

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

I worked at a High School in Michigan and we used this type of bulb to light are football field. They were on a very tall wooden pole with about 20 lamps. I think they may have been 750 watts. We had to call a man out that could climb to the top. I'm glad the boss did not make me change the lights.

Carl

Offline Mónico González

• Philips HP-80w Mercury Lamp
    • Mis Bombillas, peque?o museo virtual de la l?mpara el?ctrica.
1000 Watt Bulb
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 10:58:00 am »
Hi everybody!
As have been appointed, these gasfilled lamps were used some years ago as high output photographic lighting sources, before the continuous light halogen bulbs and electronic flash units where marketed.
You can see a sample of these huge bulbs at my website's page:
 http://mis-bombillas.webcindario.com/Osram_Nitra_130_750.htm

I get this 750w Nitra from an old photo studio in my town among another two 500w made by Philips, all of three are 130V and E4O based.
Best regards,

M. Gonz?lez.
 http://mis-bombillas/webcindario.com

[This message has been edited by M?nico Gonz?lez (edited June 04, 2004).]

Offline Dave

1000 Watt Bulb
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 05:28:00 pm »
Hi,

I work at a local city owned auditorium and they still use 26 fixtures on the ceiling which is 50-60 feet high! The bulbs are 750w PS-52, clear and 120v. Recently I changed out 5 of the bulbs which had burned out. Relamping them was easy because the fixtures are easily accessed from the attic above. Let me tell you, those lamps really go when they burn out! One of the bulbs arced pretty nastily as I started to unscrew it and it almost blinded me and I could see the images in my eyes for 30 minutes! BTW the bulbs are all Sylvanias.

>I worked at a High School in Michigan and >we used this type of bulb to light are >football field. They were on a very tall >wooden pole with about 20 lamps. I think >they may have been 750 watts. We had to >call a man out that could climb to the >top. I'm glad the boss did not make me >change the lights.

Carl [/B][/QUOTE]

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited October 06, 2004).]
DMD

Offline Randy Photo Smith

• New Member!
    • http://www.rocksmyth.com
1000 Watt Bulb
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 04:55:00 pm »
I have about 20 of these bulbs.  1000 watt, 1500 watt, and 2000 watt. They were originally used for lighting the sets at night of movies in the 30's and 40's.
I use them for 'painting' the inside of a building when I want extreme sharpness and no movement of people.  I set my f-stop to f128, open the shutter, pull the slide and paint with light.  An exposure can take as long as 30 minutes, but the people dont get in the picture and the resolution is fantastic.

If you go to http://www.mole.com/aboutus/history,  you will find a whole history of yoiur bulb.

Love and God Bless
-randy