Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Hand Painted Bulb  (Read 7511 times)

Offline Carl Wright

Hand Painted Bulb
« on: February 04, 2001, 01:25:00 pm »
I have a light bulb with a Thomson-Houston base. It has a painted scene on the bulb. I have not seen other bulbs like this, was it a common to paint on a bulb like this or was this one of a kind?  Below is a URL to get a look at my bulb.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1446784&a=10860149

Carl

Hand Painted Bulb
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2001, 05:00:00 pm »
Hi there, I have a Schaeffer Based Perkins Lamp with a Windmill Scene Painted on it. Usually these lamps that have things painted on them or are knitted around are bulbs that no longer "Exibit" and instead of just throwing the bulb out, they would make some type of House Decor out of it.Nice bulb you have there. Jerry

Offline Scott

Hand Painted Bulb
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2001, 09:18:00 pm »
I've seen burnt-out bulbs used as a base for a variety of knitted things-usually Christmas decorations. A girl I knew in high school had an older sister that did this.I think this was a thing of the '70's,-making decorative things out of household junk. On the same order,I saw burnt-out bulbs being used as fishing bobbers(or crab-trap markers)when I lived in Florida. The guy wove a net around the bulb out of nylon string.(He told me he did it for net-making practice,which was a hobby of his). Wish I'd asked for one. They looked sorta cool,especially after "aging" a bit in salt water.

Offline Carl Wright

Hand Painted Bulb
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2001, 12:24:00 am »
Thanks for the replies on my bulb. I went and checked and the horse shoe filament is NOT broken. So the person that painted this one was used a good bulb.

There is red fiber on the end of the bulb not plaster. Does any one know what years this bulb could have been made?

I'm new to bulb collecting and any help you can give me would be appreciate.

Hand Painted Bulb
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2001, 05:24:00 am »
That lamps vintage with the red fiber insert and press style is approx 1892 Perkins Lamp. My Schaeffer Based Perkins with painted scene also has a intact filament. Nice bulb you have. You have to give me a call sometime and come down and visit,  Jerry