Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Old fuses  (Read 7002 times)

Offline Scott

Old fuses
« on: January 09, 2001, 09:05:00 pm »
Last Saturday, I bought a package of old plug fuses("house fuses") at a tiny grocery store in Livingston, Ky.(about 70 miles from here)-anyhoos, they're standard edison based plug fuses for home use, with a 10 amp rating, unusual,since the typical lower rating is 15 amps. They're made by Metropolitan Electric Mfg.,of Long Island New york. The box is very plain cardboard with red print. According to the box,the company was established in 1892. The box is a bit shopworn, but the fuses look like they were made yesterday. I'm guessing they were made in the late '20's or '30's,judging from the print style on the box. Any opinions?

Offline Poppa Bill bulbs

Old fuses
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2001, 10:19:00 pm »
Hi Scott. Your 10 amp fuses was a perty good find. they were probally used in small motor applications to run machines. In the near future click on my photo print logo and see several antique screw fuses and knife switches.               Poppa Bill
Poppa Bill

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Old fuses
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2001, 09:39:00 am »
I agree with Bill, I always grab them if I see them. Now's probably a good time to pick them up at flea markets, junk sales, etc. I've bought several 1890s-ish GE brass covered fuses at flea markets for under $10 each.......

------------------
-Tim
BulbCollector.com
DewCollector.com

Offline migette

Old fuses
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2001, 02:28:00 pm »
hi Scott, Just seen your entry, The fuses that I received were also made in Long Island City, but by Eagle is it posible that Metropolitan was bught out by Eagle which is in business and maybe able to give more info as to the age of yours, Hope this helps Peter
Peter Bent
London
U.K