Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Modern vs. old Matchless Stars?  (Read 25347 times)

Offline eholzenberg

• New Member!
Modern vs. old Matchless Stars?
« on: October 25, 2004, 11:20:00 am »
Hi,

I've been collecting old Christmas ornaments for some time, but am only now exploring antique Christmas lighting.

I've been looking at eBay auctions for old matchless stars, and need some guidance. 1) Were some stars made to fit C7 sockets originally, or were all the old ones C6? [This is the kind of question I used to be solve from Bill's antique Christmas lighting site!] 2) If I'm not getting any hits on the term "C7", is there any other term I should be using? 3) I found a number of modern reproduction matchless stars in the C7 size  for sale in an eBay store. Has anybody used these? How do they compare to the old ones?

Thanks for your advice to a novice!

Eric

Offline jonathan cassiday

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 12:20:00 pm »
Hi , Im fairly new here too but I have bought some of the reproduction matchles stars and they are an affordable way to get matchless stars, i dont have any of the old ones but from the comp[arison pictures ve seen they are identical in constructon and color. They did originaly make matchless stars in all sizes (miniture base(c-6)candelabra base(c-7) intermidiate base(c-9 and edison standard base). I hope that bill wil put his website back up soon as i use it for refrence all the time, but this foreum is a great place to gain information too!

joanthan Cassiday
yes this is Jonathan Cassiday how may i help you

Offline eholzenberg

• New Member!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 01:18:00 pm »
Thanks to Jonathan for his quick and helpful response to my query, and to Tim for posting (in another thread) the sad news about Bill's recent death. I too hope that some enterprising collector out there will be able to  continue or re-create Bill's fascinating and very useful site.

Cheers,

Eric

Offline xmasden

• New Member!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 02:33:00 pm »
Eric,
To answer your questions about the C-7 Matchless Stars.  Yes, there were such lights, larger than the older ones, made near the last of the Matchless Star productions.  They were made in the late 40s to 50s I believe.  They were plastic.  The older stars were made out of a crystal type of glass.  I have rebulbed both types, and it works for the most part.  Sometimes the plastic ones can be a little hard to rebulb; the old plastic (there's a name for it....can't remember it right now....bakelite) can be brittle and break on you due to the years of heat.

Paul Schofield (www.lionsdenantiques) out of Port Orchard, Washington makes some very realistic reproductions.  (cheaper to buy too) (I believe you are referring to these in your letter.)  I have bought several of his "frosted double row stars" and they are beautiful.  The only difference is, the plastic on the back of his stars is white.) You can also rebulb his stars, and he sends an extra bulb with them.  They aren't the originals....like many like to have....but they are the next best thing....and definitely cheaper to buy.

Hope this helps you.

I am really sorry to hear about Bill Nelson.  His web site was wonderful!  It was fun to send him pictures every once in a while.

Dennis (xmasden)

Offline zozman

Re: Modern vs. old Matchless Stars?
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 07:20:20 am »
The reproduction Matchless stars are very good. However, there's nothing like having an original antique star lighting your holiday. Especially since that's what this forum is all about. I have found a special quality, an ambiance not found in today's LED-oriented mentality. Enjoy the beauty and the history for what few of them are left.

Randy