Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: please help identify this bulb  (Read 7362 times)

Offline Len Andyshak

• New Member!
please help identify this bulb
« on: May 01, 2017, 10:39:52 am »
Bulb is 3.5"  The Label says 2CF (or2CP??) Fairbanks Morse MONARCH 115volts   It has a 3 loop filament.  Some black numbers on glass at base of filament - I think they are 79711 C (C is backwards)   Also, there is a small folded piece of paper down inside the glass tube through which the filament rises from the base - some words I can read "the manufacturer of..  is licensed ... patents noted...... side.  The words are inside an outline in the shape of the bulb.

Wondering if Monarch is the Monarch Elec Mfg Co of Warren OH?? I've seen that listed here and there.  Confused by the Fairbanks Morse on the label since they manufactured industrial machinery not bulbs - but did make a residential power plant for homes... ????

Any ideas or info? Pictures attached.  Len

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Re: please help identify this bulb
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 07:37:55 pm »
Hi Len,

This is a 2 candlepower carbon filament lamp manufactured by the Monarch Incandescent Lamp Company.  Fairbanks, Morse & Co. was an exclusive selling agent of Monarch Mazda lamps beginning around 1910, but this clearly isn't a MAZDA lamp.  As evidenced by your lamp, Fairbanks Morse apparently also sold the carbon filament lamps (older technology) that Monarch offered.  I'd guess your bulb dates to around 1910, around the time when carbon filament lamps were being replaced by MAZDA (tungsten filament) lamps.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline Len Andyshak

• New Member!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 09:29:03 am »
Hello Tim.    Thanks so much.  That was really helpful.  Where do you find this type of specific info?  I looked all over but didn't get beyond what I mentioned in my original post. And where can I find info about the Monarch Incandescent Lamp Co?  Just having fun exploring this through the door of a light bulb my wife had saved since she was a child. 

Thanks again.

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 11:29:05 am »
Len, the connection with Fairbanks Morse came up in a simple Google Books search, my "go to" reference for searching the early electrical trade publications that Google has digitized and made available for textual searching.