Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Wavy Fluorescent Bulbs... Rip-L-Lite? by Sun Ray?  (Read 9521 times)

Offline toddlyman

• New Member!
Wavy Fluorescent Bulbs... Rip-L-Lite? by Sun Ray?
« on: November 14, 2010, 12:21:20 pm »
Hello,

I met a fellow last year in York at a steam show where I had a fairly wild exhibit of my digitally restored and enlarged historic images displayed and for sale.  Even though I did not have anything bulb specific, he was not shy about making his interest in early bulbs known, maybe because of the really broad range of kooky images I was showing... he figured I was at least nutty enough to appreciate early bulbs.

And I was!

I immediately asked him about some truly groovy fluorescent bulbs I have, which I'm saving until I have the right vintage fixture and properly visually commanding space for it to go.  After hearing me out, he suggested they were Rip-L-Lite bulbs by Sun Ray.

I would like to buy more of these bulbs, so that once I make a commitment to a fixture and its placement, I will have back up bulbs for a long time to come.

Anyone know of these bulbs?  Anyone have any for sale. or know where I might find a stash?

Perhaps I should load this same message up in the general discussion area.  Let me know if that is kosher or overkill.

Thanks!

Todd Kimmell :-o :-o :-o :-o

Offline Nick D.

• 60 watt carbon lamp, cobalt glass
Re: Wavy Fluorescent Bulbs... Rip-L-Lite? by Sun Ray?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 02:31:40 pm »
Without a picture, I cannot say anything for certain but it sounds like you may have GE-made tubes that are a special type of 'Slimline'. They are like a traditional fluorescent tubes, except that they have a "wiggly" profile that compresses more tube length into the same linear space.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 02:35:42 pm by Nick D. »

Offline Nick D.

• 60 watt carbon lamp, cobalt glass
Re: Wavy Fluorescent Bulbs... Rip-L-Lite? by Sun Ray?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 02:41:20 pm »
I believe that Osram Sylvania currently makes the wavy fluorescent tubes as well. They are shown in an old (early 2000's) catalog that I have but I don't know about current production.