Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Square light bulb info?  (Read 15190 times)

Offline rosetine

• New Member!
Square light bulb info?
« on: November 22, 2005, 08:30:17 pm »
Hello all, I am not a bulb collector but I have a couple of square light bulbs that have piqued my curiosity.? Who knows maybe they're the start of a new collection.? This web site certainly has changed the way I'll look at old light bulbs and fixtures.? At present, hubby and I, collect miniature tools, ivory rules, egg cups, and anything else that's old and interesting.

The square light bulbs came with an old lamp recently acquired.? The lamp is american made c.1940-1963.? I don't know if the bulbs were original issue or not.? There is no manufacturer's name or mark anywhere, only "40W 130V ITALY" stamped on the screwy base.? Since the lamp is going to be used, I was looking for replacement sources for the bulbs when they burn out.? But I found nothing, not on the web, locally, friends who also are always looking for oddities.

I've attached a couple of photographs.? If anyone knows anything about them, or any suggestions on where I could find info, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks........Lucie

Offline Zelandeth

• Cold Philips SOX 35W
    • Zel's Lair - an assorted grab bag of lighting information, automotive mayhem, and anything else I remember to upload
Re: Square light bulb info?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 04:20:27 pm »
Okay, now those I haven't seen before!

Afraid I'm not really an expert on these things yet (though hopefully I'll learn someday!). 

Sure someone here will be able to give some more info on those rather unusual lamps.  At least I hope so, because I'm as curious as you are now!

Offline Mónico González

• Philips HP-80w Mercury Lamp
    • Mis Bombillas, peque?o museo virtual de la l?mpara el?ctrica.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 10:03:50 am »
Hi Lucie and welcome to Tim's Forums!

The lamp that you have shown us seems to be from the Italian brand "Neolamp", most exactly the "Cubo" called model, fitted with European E14 Edison screw.
You can see them at the following adress:

http://www.neolamp.com/

The main differences between your bulb and standard Neolamp ones posted at their catalogues are about voltage rating, because the fact that at all Continental Europe countries the mains voltage for household use are 230 volts / 50 Hz, so, your 130 volt rated lamp are undoubtely an export model.
Some years ago, here in most European countries both 125 and 220 volts lines (50 Hz), coexisted too friendly along many years, so your bulb could be an standard Italian model from more than 20 years ago.
I couldn't say you accurately if your square lamp are one from this factory (Neolamp), but I hope this info could be taken as an useful clue for your researching.
Best regards.
M. Gonz?lez.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 10:59:38 am by M?nico Gonz?lez »

Offline mr_big

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 09:15:10 pm »
Does anybody remember where you can get these

Offline rosetine

• New Member!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 12:28:47 pm »
Thank you Mr. Gonzalez,  I think you found it.  The new cubo looks exactly like mine, just shinier.  The  web site doesn't mention that they produce the 130V for export to North America, but I will send an email and ask.
Thanks again, Best Regards,....Lucie