Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Q-Ray lightbulb  (Read 9334 times)

Offline Bill Brownmiller

• New Member!
Q-Ray lightbulb
« on: December 30, 2000, 03:59:00 pm »
While cleaning my basement I came across an unusual lightbulb.  It is round, about 3 inches in diameter, with a standard lightbulb base. The filament is a coil of 4 turns about 5/8" diameter and does not look like a normal tungsten filament.  The only markings on the lamp are "Q-Ray 200W 120V" in a circle on the top of the bulb with "5005 N" in the center of the circle. Can someone tell me about this bulb?  Is it an antique, or just unusual?

Offline Chris W. Millinship

Q-Ray lightbulb
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2000, 05:18:00 pm »
It sounds to me like your bulb is a heater bulb of some sort, they have thick carbon filaments, not tungsten, and were used for medicinal use in a handheld reflector to sooth aching joints and things like that. Does it look anything like this...?

This one of mine is made by NALCO and is 240 watts, 120 volts. I couldn`t really guess its age but it is quite old. When lit it glows quite brightly but gives out a huge load of heat. I`m afraid I don`t really know anything more about them, but I`m sure someone round here does.

Anyway hope this helps a bit?

------------------
-chris

http://members.ebay.co.uk/aboutme/chrismillinship

LIVE Christmas lights webcam NOW ONLINE!

Offline Scott

Q-Ray lightbulb
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2001, 08:53:00 pm »
It looks like an old infrared"heat" lamp,and I believe it's for medical use,for backaches,arthritic joints and such like. The college I used to work for had some old medical equipment from the early part of the century,and they had one of these things but the bulb was gone-it looked sort of like an oversized flashgun.

Offline Bill Brownmiller

• New Member!
Q-Ray lightbulb
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2001, 10:16:00 pm »
Thanks for your reply.  I vaguely remember my Dad calling it a heat lamp. Many years ago (1930's) he was a partner in a small appliance and electrical business. It is quite possible this bulb came from there.

quote:
Originally posted by Scott:
 It looks like an old infrared"heat" lamp,and I believe it's for medical use,for backaches,arthritic joints and such like. The college I used to work for had some old medical equipment from the early part of the century,and they had one of these things but the bulb was gone-it looked sort of like an oversized flashgun.