Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Mystery Lamp  (Read 21641 times)

Offline Steve Cunningham

• New Member!
Mystery Lamp
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2002, 11:30:00 pm »
There were many makers of these lamps. They were popular from about 1910 to 1940. I'd guess yours was made about 1920. The F logo on the plug probably stands for "Federal", but I defer to Ed Covington on these. Hope this helps.

Offline Ltjewelbox

Mystery Lamp
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2002, 08:51:00 am »
Would you happen  to know any names of the manufactures?  That would be a great help if you do.
Thanks

Offline Scott

Mystery Lamp
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2002, 08:34:00 pm »
I'm guessing early 1930's,since it has a plug and not the edison base plug stuff from the '20's had. The wiring is probably cotton-covered rubber,or rubber soaked cloth,which rots with time. Don't use it! Bakelite is a very early plastic that's been around since 1909. It's a brittle,brown plastic. The paper liner of the socket may be heat-rotted as well. If you're not going to use it,I'd leave it alone. If it were me, I'd rewire and use it,but keep the old socket and plug. On older lamps,before molded one-piece cord and plug, the factory plug could have a seperate UL listing from the lamp.
  I'd suggest buying a molded one piece plug and cord-WalMart amy have them, and most craft stores do(though pricy). Check flea markets as well. Or American Science and Surplus www.sciplus.com  .
   The phenolic lamp sockets are easier to work with than the metal ones,but a bit more. IMHO, they look better on older stuff. Hope you get it going.

Offline bshipinski

Mystery Lamp
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2002, 12:19:00 am »
I was guessing the cord was silk covered or rayon and probably is in excellent condition as any lamp of quality of the time is supposted to have used such cord.  And it for cord is probably fine - have seen many good examples of silk cord in good shape.
I am leaning towards "PO" cord, but I would yeild to the experts out there and of course the person with the fixture.  As for the plug, almost definately a retrofit.  And the lamp base/switch, I wouldn't think it has a paper lining, and it is probably fine.  But again differ to the owner of the lamp and the person he has inspect it.

C-Two or more stranded wires with flexible insulation for temporary use. Thermoset or Thermoplastic, Dry Use Only.  Rough service wire, but not as nice looking as ?PO?.  Twice as thick in insulation but similar to ?PO? with silk or Rayon top layer.  Usually a yellow / green braided jacket, ?Green and Yellow Cord?.  No outer jacket to wires, just twisted single strands. Lamp Cord, 2 or more 18-10Awg. (Now is Thermoset or thermoplastic insulation with outer cotton cover.)  Pendant and portable use, not hard usage in dry locations.

DBRC- Old Household, double braided rubber coated wire with cotton braid.  Weather and fire resistant.

PD- 18-10 Awg. Thermoset or Thermoplastic Insulation Cotton braiding and Cotton or Rayon outer covering.  Pendant or Portable Wiring, Dry Locations, Not Hard Usage.  Twisted Portable Cord.

PO- Lamp cord with outer layer of silk or Rayon.  Wires not Twisted but Parallel.  Cotton yarn wrapping round twisted strands; Insulators of rubber on top of cotton, which insulates rubber from sticking to strands making it more flexible.  Cotton layer atop Rubber, with Rayon or silk jacket enclosing two wires in parallel.

POSJ- New Replacement for ?PO? using a rubber jacket encasing both wires, and does not fray like fabric wires, can be washed.

R- Rubber or Neoprene insulation.  (Best Quality Rubber) Household Wiring.

SBRC- Old Household, Single Braided rubber covered with cotton braid.

SPT- ?Zip Cord?, Fixture Cord, 2 or 3 wire Stranded, Designated by gauge and number of wires.  Eg: ?18-3" is 18 gauge 3-wire. Thermoplastic Insulation.  Otherwise same as Sp-1 to 3 cord.

Offline Kirk

• New Member!
Mystery Lamp
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2002, 06:11:00 pm »
Hello!
For what's it's worth, I believe the "F" in the circle is the logo for, get this, the "Circle F Industries" company. I believe they went bust in the late 1980s or early 1990s. The last address I have for them was:

Circle F Industries
P.O. Box 591
Trenton, NJ 08604

My 1974 Catalog shows they made/sold lamp sockets, pull switches, wall sockets and plates, cord switches.

Hope this helps in your search.

Kirk