Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Fluorescent Lamp Enthusiast Black Light ???  (Read 14802 times)

Offline BruceTheBaldGuy

• New Member!
Fluorescent Lamp Enthusiast Black Light ???
« on: October 12, 2005, 08:36:56 pm »
Hi this is Bruce,thanks for letting me in your forum.I'll start by saying, the only thing I know about light bulbs are how to screw them in.I'm looking for some information on a? round fluorescent black lamp.I was told the lamp was made at one time,but, now is long gone..so here I am..the original lamp I want to replace is an GE? FC 16 T 10 CW? ?22 watt rapid start.? I would like to replace the original lamp with? a black light. I don't mind if the new black lamp has a? higher wattage lamp.As of now,I? using a? temporary replacement lamp,the one I'm currently using? is a GE? FC 16 T 9 CW 40 watt.(I changed the ballast).the problem being.the T 9 doesn't quite fit inside the fixture(clock) correctly and still is not a black light.. any insight would be greatly appreciated. thanks BTBG!? ? ? ?
Thanks BTBG

Offline Zelandeth

• Cold Philips SOX 35W
    • Zel's Lair - an assorted grab bag of lighting information, automotive mayhem, and anything else I remember to upload
Re: Fluorescent Lamp Enthusiast Black Light ???
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 05:35:32 pm »
I think you would be looking for...FC16T10 22WBLB - it sounds like it's a standard circline fluorescent, just in the BLB colour.

Chances are that you should be able to find one online somewhere.  BLB lamps aren't always the easiest to find - but I have heard of them, and am sure that they are produced still.

Offline BruceTheBaldGuy

• New Member!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 06:16:53 pm »
thanks Zel,I honestly looked,I'm sure it's out there,I can't find it..I'll keep digging.if even If can't find one the lamp,I still found another cool forum to visit..thanks for the reply. :-D? BTBG
update I think I've found one...I hope they speak english
http://www.fluorimport.com/en/bl.htm?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 07:10:36 pm by BruceTheBaldguy »
Thanks BTBG

Offline Zelandeth

• Cold Philips SOX 35W
    • Zel's Lair - an assorted grab bag of lighting information, automotive mayhem, and anything else I remember to upload
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 06:12:03 pm »
Hmm, looking at that site there, it appears that they only have the BLB lamp in the straight and CF types, the circline one is only available in the BL colour (same phosphor as a BLB lamp - lead activated barium silicate I think - but without the Wood's Glass envelope.  They're the "pale blue" ones you see in insect zappers and such).

BL is Black Light - bug zappers and such.
BLB is Black Light Blue - the ones which actually appear black to the eye, and are probably the type used in your clock.

Offline BruceTheBaldGuy

• New Member!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 08:32:15 am »
Thanks Zel, there is some info I didn't know.it doesn't look good anyway,I emailed them and no response,if I call I don't know if they speak English and I can't speak Italian.I can't believe that they are the only? business with that lamp.I'm still trying,I appreciate the lesson in the light differences..thanks BTBG?
Thanks BTBG

Offline Zelandeth

• Cold Philips SOX 35W
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 02:48:18 pm »
Well, I haven't actually managed to find one yet, I re-found a distributor I'd forgotten about.

Though they haven't got one in their catalog, it may well be worth giving BLT Direct a look.  Even if they can't locate one, chances are that they might be able to point you in the direction of someone who can.  I've dealt with them before - albeit not in quite a while - and was very pleased with the service I recieved.

Just be careful when looking through the catalog...there's a LOT of stuff there - including some pretty obscure and hard to find things...hence, for an enthusiast, it can get very expensive very quickly - despite the pricing seeming pretty good!  Just for the sake of curiousity, I stuck some of the things I would like in my basket...and ended up in three figures astonishing fast...think I'm going to find something else to do now before I go and spend lots of money I don't have...

Offline Chris W. Millinship

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 04:30:07 pm »
(On-topic) I don`t recall *ever* seeing circular fluorescent tubes in BLB/Wood`s Glass. They may have existed at one time when circular tubes were "fashionable", but it is unliikely they were common and very doubtful they are still produced. Circular tubes of any kind are, to the best of my knowledge, not very popular at all today. Fashions come and go, I do remember seeing round fluorescent fittings years ago when I was very young but havn`t seen one here for ages.

Perhaps you could try neon signmakers? If they can get BLB tube stock, I`m sure they could fabricate a round tube of the correct diameter for your fitting. It would need the ballast replacing with a suitable high voltage transformer but there are electronic types out there these days which are pretty small and quiet. On the downside this could be rather expensive, but just a thought.

(Off-topic) Z, now look what you made me do. :roll:

They had daylight CFLs. They had *coloured* CFLs. They had blended MBF lamps. Big ones. They had the Sylvania Mini-Lynx that I`ve been looking for forever (no fixtures though so still looking for one of those). They had LED lamps in GLS and candle shapes.

I have less money now.

Credit cards are handy things, if also completely evil.....

:-o

Offline Zelandeth

• Cold Philips SOX 35W
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 05:50:35 pm »
(Off topic)

Yeah...the coloured CFL's and at least one of the blended lamps (wish they were clear though) are on my list come the next paycheck.  I require to know when you get them if the coloured CFLs actually are coloured glass, or if it's just a coating though.

Chris - also note that they're Pro-Lite stockists - so they MAY be able to give you some info in the SCR-18 coloured spirals I have here.  Got to be worth a look.

The really dangerous thing is that they also have ballasts I need for some of my lamps.  This could get really expensive real fast...

(on topic)

Have Circline lamps really become that rare?  I know that several of the public buildings in Aberdeen still use a heap of them.  Guess I just assumed that there'd still be a BLB one made - I'm terrible for assuming things like that!  The style I've found to be rarest around here is the U shaped ones, never actually seen one of them in person.

Offline BruceTheBaldGuy

• New Member!
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 06:16:29 pm »
Hey Z,thanks for the link,I didn't see it in the catalog, but I got an e mail into them though,we'll see,thanks,Chris,I will look into the neon,funny you say about the u lamp,I have 2? U BL lamps in my? in a commercial bug zapper,I haven't tried to find a replacement for them yet,more treasure hunting to come...
Thanks BTBG