Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Retro light bulbs for Dylan Thomas Birthplace Restoration  (Read 7293 times)

Offline swansea jack

• New Member!
Retro light bulbs for Dylan Thomas Birthplace Restoration
« on: July 19, 2008, 06:27:50 pm »

Can you help

My wife and I are restoring 5 Cwmdonkin Drive, Uplands, Swansea, Wales, UK - the birthplace of the famous poet Dylan Thomas - to its condition when bought as a new house by the Thomas family in 1914 - three months before Dylan was born in the front bedroom.

When it is completed we intend letting it as an experiential, self catering holiday destination. Our booking dates start from 1914 (which means that a booking made for 16 -23 July 2008 becomes, in 5 Cwmdonkin Drive time, 16 - 23 July 1914!)  It also means that there is no television, telephone or electric kettle but as a concession to modern living we have installed central heating and some electric light and power!   

We want to use retro antique light bulbs to give the house the ambience that it had when is was new but are finding great difficulty in locationg a suitable source in the UK.

Can anyone suggest a supplier of suitable light bulbs Someone mentioned a supplier in Germany

We are undertaking this project without any government grant assistancebut we have received sponsorship from companies such as Sanderson, Armstrong Floors, Twyfords, Ulster Carpets and Johnstone's Paints.

I've attached an Overview of the project.  There are some photographs of the early stage of restoration if you're interested on www.5cwmdonkindrive.com .There is also a video newspaper link on http://content.thisis.co.uk/south_wales07/DylanThomas/Pages/Swansea.html

I hope that this is of interest.

Geoff

Offline adam2

Re: Retro light bulbs for Dylan Thomas Birthplace Restoration
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 06:03:50 am »
By 1914 carbon filament lamps were considered obsolete and had been largely replaced by the "new" metalic filament lamps which had a higher efficiency.
The early metal filament lamps used a long filament that passed up and down the length of the lamp numerous times. Sometimes known as a squirel cage filament.

Similar lamps are still made today and are known as "ships navigation lamps"

suitable lamps for your requirements are sold by INTERNATIONAL LAMPS Ltd. phone 01279 442266.
Suggest telephoning the above and asking for "CHRIS STIGWOOD"
Ask Chris to forward to you the email that he recently sent to Adam re decorative lamps.

The efficiency of such lamps is low by modern standards, and to provide enough light for reading or fine work either fittings with multiple lamps will be needed, or desk lamps etc close to the work.

I have no connection with the above firm but recomend them as a supplier of both everyday lamps and the more unusuall items.