Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Introduction and Invitation  (Read 8456 times)

Offline hearthstone

• New Member!
Introduction and Invitation
« on: June 05, 2008, 01:36:39 pm »
Hello! I am Christine Cross, Executive Director of Hearthstone Historic House Museum, the first home in the world lit by a hydroelectric central station based on Thomas Edison's system. I would like to invite forum members to visit the historic house museum the next time you are in the Appleton, WI area. Our website www.hearthstonemuseum.org has more information and please feel free to contact me with any specific questions! I look forward to getting to know the forum and sharing in the knowledge.

Offline PCris

Re: Introduction and Invitation
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 01:02:28 pm »
Christine,

Thanks for posting this. I come to Appleton WI every summer to visit a long-time friend, and seeing your invitation on this website prompted me to visit Hearthstone last month while in town. It was definately worth the trip! I loved seeing the beautiful lighting fixtures, and the exquisite woodwork in the mansion - all from native species - was a delight, not to mention the period furnishings. The lecture/tour was fascinating and gave many insights to life in the 1880's.

I especially enjoyed the hands-on mueseum in the basement, although I think I'd better get into better shape before I try that bicycle/generator apparatus again! This will certainly appeal to those visitng who may bring along the kids, and it's a great way for teaching future generations some of the history of electric lighting in a very fun way!

Keep up the good work. I look forward to visitng again.

Regards,
PCris