Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Should'nt fluorescent be black when the burn out  (Read 9240 times)

Offline mr_big

Should'nt fluorescent be black when the burn out
« on: October 06, 2005, 01:14:36 pm »
I had a feit electric 24 inch fluorescent running on a preheat ballast last night I noticed that it was flickeing a little I waited about an hour and then it just kept shutting down but then restarting I know this is normal for end of lamp life on a preheat ballast but the ends of the lamp where not black
Instead when it shut off one end was glowing orange and the other was glowing the normal color

Offline Zelandeth

• Cold Philips SOX 35W
    • Zel's Lair - an assorted grab bag of lighting information, automotive mayhem, and anything else I remember to upload
Re: Should'nt fluorescent be black when the burn out
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 04:57:19 pm »
One orange, one white electrode - dead tube,  Emitter one one of the electrodes has expired.

As for the blackening issue, not *always* what happens.  Especially in the larger tubes where electrode shields are often used to prevent the sputtered electrode material from being able to contaminate the phosphor coating inside the tube.

Just make sure that you remove the starter from that lamp (or even better, the lamp itself), as this cycling behaviour stresses the ballast - especially if the starter contacts stick shut (which they probably will do eventually if it keeps cycling).  And sitting like that will almost certainly overheat the ballast.  Probably won't actually damage it (most modern ones have built in overheat protection anyway) - but obviously ain't good for it at all, and could very possibly present a fire hazard.

Offline LEE NEWTON

• New Member!
Re: Should'nt fluorescent be black when the burn out
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 07:10:25 am »
And, when you replace the tube, consider fitting an electronic starter (sometimes referred to as a pulse starter). The tube life will be extended, and should a tube fail whilst unattended, the risks described above - i.e. stress to the ballast - will be eliminated as the circuit is cut out automatically with a failed lamp.