Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Carbon pip top  (Read 5775 times)

Offline migette

Carbon pip top
« on: May 07, 2001, 01:32:00 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Today in England is a Bank Holiday (Mayday) and a very good day for Bootsales as many sellers wait till now before going to town so to speak as the weather is generally getting better with less risk of rain. However getting back to the subject I happened to see a faily modern table lamp for sale, one of many which are seen at such sales and normally do not warrant a second look. This time I did look at the bulb and got a very nice surprise. To get a better look the bulb was removed having asked the seller if she did not mind, she by her looks thought I had gone mad when I asked if the bulb could be sold seperately, she agreed and was purchased for 50 Pence I did not know whether or not it worked as my hand caused the two seperate carbon coils to move and was not possible to follow the line of them. Anyway at home and on the variac they glowed and on 240v gave very little light pos. 8cp? it worked.... Needless to say I will be taking more then just a glance at any other light fixture in future. Back to the bulb...Shape S16 (2inches wide) length 4 inches base b22 bc black vitrite no markings anywhere filaments 2 of small coils (4) and commoned in the pinch pip topped and slightly marked inside but not badly with carbon. Hope I have not bored you by my ramblings but thought my find should be shared. Any comments....

------------------
Peter Bent
Wallington
U.K
Peter Bent
London
U.K

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Carbon pip top
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2001, 09:44:00 am »
Hi Peter,

I've found some old bulbs this way too and probably have passed by several others hidden under lamp shades. It's usually hard to convince the seller to sell the bulb by itself, sometimes I've had to buy an old junky lamp just to get a desirable bulb....

------------------
-Tim
BulbCollector.com
DewCollector.com

Offline Bob Masters

Carbon pip top
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2001, 02:42:00 pm »
I ran across a cool carbon filament bulb sitting in a really nice porcelain ceiling fixture just a short while back. The whole ball-o-wax cost only $10 and I think the fixture is worth more than that by itself.
A small.......yet fulfilling prize ! Ha Ha Ha..............