Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Locating antique light bulbs for sale  (Read 22525 times)

Offline Bob Masters

Locating antique light bulbs for sale
« on: April 18, 2001, 11:42:00 pm »
I was wondering how many of the members know how to easily locate antique light bulbs for sale.
ex: simply knowing that they are available on eBay doesn't automatically make them easy to find there.

Offline ALM

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2001, 01:59:00 pm »
Tip of the day...

Keep the bidder lists of your fellow buyers bookmarked so that you can pool your search capability with theirs.  I don't have to search for anything... they all do it for me.

You're welcome!  Have a great day!

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2001, 03:38:00 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by ALM:
Keep the bidder lists of your fellow buyers bookmarked...

...and watch your fellow buyers change their usernames in a big hurry, or start sniping at the last second to avoid "being chased"  

Everyone has their own tricks to finding certain items but I doubt many people are willing to share them, collecting has become very competitive it seems like.......

------------------
-Tim
BulbCollector.com
DewCollector.com

Offline ALM

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2001, 04:19:00 pm »
Oh, come on, Tim!  Sniping?  They'll "start" sniping?  LMAO!  Perhaps they'll need to de-register, because you'll always be found.

I'll share.

Next tip:

- Broaden your searches to capture the most items when you aren't looking for something specific.

Search for:  "Antique Bulb"

Search for:  "Vintage Bulb"

Heck... search for "Bulb"

Search for:  "Antique Light"

Search for:  "Vintage Light"

...you get the picture!

[This message has been edited by ALM (edited May 02, 2001).]

Offline Tluce

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2001, 07:05:00 am »
That might work on places like e-bay, but I've always been a little hesitant about having them shipped.  My best resource is my friends.  The last few lamps I've picked up is because friends have called me and said they saw an old bulb somewhwere that I might be interested in.  Nine times out of ten it's just an old tungsten with an exhaust tip but once in a while it's a good one.  Also, old radio and phonograph auctions can hold surprises, usually in a box lot somewhere.  That's my two cents worth.  Any price guide out there yet?

Offline ALM

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2001, 10:05:00 am »
I've not had a problem with shipping (yet) either as a buyer or a seller.  Most people understand the value that people place on these items, and pack them accordingly... and insurance is a big "must."

Great suggestion, too... but how many of us have actual "friends" who are willing to share said information?  How many of us have friends who have a shred of a clue as to what to look for?

Tip of the day...

Local Auctions and Estate Sales.  Tough to find stuff... but you only do if you LOOK!  I've stumbled upon my fair share of old goodies, bulbs included... buried in boxes of alleged "crap."

While this doesn't fall under the category of "easily finding" such items - antique bulbs and other stuff won't just walk up to your home and ring your doorbell.

Offline ALM

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2001, 01:56:00 pm »
TIP OF THE DAY:

- Ask your friends.  Be somewhat specific... like, "If you see something with a sharp point on the top, or some goofy-looking base, call me or just get it."

Offline ddn2

• New Member!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2001, 03:28:00 pm »
While we're on the subject of "bulbs for sale", I am frustrated with bulbs being listed on eBay with seemingly outrageous reserves... I think I'm correct in calling them "outrageous" since I have yet to see any of these bulbs actually reach their reserve.  To say that these bulbs are "for sale" is a bit of a stretch... it's almost as if certain sellers are using eBay as a forum to show-off their collection, while to the unsuspecting it looks like a serious auction ('serious' in the sense that there was ever an intent to sell the bulb in the first place).  What a waste of time for unsuspecting bidders!   There's nothing wrong, per se, with using eBay as a place to show off a few bulbs (and it's interesting to see what people are willing to bid on these bulbs), but I think this forum, not eBay, is the best place for people to show off their prize bulbs.

Offline Chris W. Millinship

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2001, 05:32:00 pm »
DDN- I think the main reason why you often see "normal" vintage bulbs listed for such a high price is that often the sellers do not really know what they are worth. They might see one rare bulb sell for $300 and think (or hope) that their 1920s tipless cage filament bulb will also be worth that much. I have found that most people who list common bulbs at very high prices are just genuinely misguided, not intentionally out to rip people off. There are probably also a few who are, but thankfully they are far between.

Although- I do agree that the prices people pay on Ebay are generally too high. I have bought just about all of my antiques have come that way and I will admit to probably paying too much for more than half of them. It depends on how many other people want them really, and how much too. That`s just what happens when so many other people will see (and want) that one item.
Still- be thankful that our preferred collecting choice isn`t fine art or rare porcelain figurines. Antique light bulbs, when all is considered, are terrific value and a wonderful thing for even low-income people like me to collect- and are more interesting in my opinion too.

------------------
-chris
electriclights.tripod.com

[This message has been edited by Chris Millinship (edited May 11, 2001).]

Offline ddn2

• New Member!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2001, 11:56:00 am »
Chris- Thanks for the response.  I agree with your comments, but perhaps my original post was unclear.  By discussing this any further, I'm opening myself up for ridicule on something that's nothing more than a pet peeve... but I want to support my earlier post with some clarification and then state a proposal.

I, too, have seen overly-optimistic sellers place a high reserve on an otherwise common bulb, but those auctions are easy to ignore and are not the auctions I was talking about.

The frustration I expressed was with respect to knowledgeable sellers who post museum-quality bulbs on eBay with seemingly no interest in actually making a sale (my speculation is that they just use eBay as a place to show off).  Again, there is nothing wrong with this, it's just frustrating for someone like me -- I'm a bidder who has only recently realized that it's not worth the trouble to bid or follow these auctions.  Heck, even the usual big-bidders don't even bid on these auctions (that should have been a clue).  A recent email discussion with one of these "museum-bulb" sellers confirmed what I have suspected for some time.  This particular seller wrote "...the main reason the ole boys dont bid on my reserve auctions is they know for a fact reserve will not be met."  It's rather easy to conclude from that statement that there is no intent to make a sale.

I believe a more appropriate (and convenient) place to post pictures and information about these bulbs is in a forum like this.  How much trouble would it be to put together a virtual museum where all of us could contribute pictures and stories of bulbs in our collections?  I doubt that all of us have early Edison "rarebirds" or the early platinum burners, but it would still be neat to see and read about bulbs from other collections.  It would be a great addition to this site provided it wouldn't be too much trouble to create and maintain.

It's just an idea.  I love seeing the awesome bulbs and reading about them.  But let's put those pictures where they belong.  If you want to sell your bulb, post it on an online auction. If you want to share (or show off), it could be posted in a virtual museum.

[This message has been edited by ddn2 (edited May 13, 2001).]

Offline Chris W. Millinship

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2001, 08:21:00 pm »
I believe a more appropriate (and convenient) place to post pictures and information about these bulbs is in a forum like this. How much trouble would it be to put together a virtual museum where all of us could contribute pictures and stories of bulbs in our collections?

That is a very good idea- how about it Tim? Create a new forum in the list called something like "Showing Off" where we can just post pics and little "galleries" and things like that, featuring all our favourite bulbs, tubes and related items.  Might bring more regular visitors here (who will inevitably add to the bulb discussions  too), and if visitors are also invited to add comments, info, etc, to other peoples pics it would be a good learning resource as well as a bit of fun. I like the sound of that. Can it be done?

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2001, 09:24:00 pm »
I believe a more appropriate (and convenient) place to post pictures and information about these bulbs is in a forum like this. How much trouble would it be to put together a virtual museum where all of us could contribute pictures and stories of bulbs in our collections?

I've tossed around this idea before and thought it might be nice but didn't know if there would be any interest in it. Now that others have expressed an interest in the idea I'll look into it further. Ideally it would be nice to have a user gallery attached to this message board allowing the registered members to post pictures, comments, etc. The trick of the thing is making such a gallery easy for users to upload their pictures to. I'd like to hear from others who think this would be a good idea (and would participate in it) before I go full throttle with the concept. In the meantime, everyone is welcome to post pictures of their bulbs or other related things of interest in the bulb forum as we've done in the past.

------------------
-Tim
BulbCollector.com
DewCollector.com

Offline ALM

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2001, 08:44:00 am »
quote:
Originally posted by ddn2:
I, too, have seen overly-optimistic sellers place a high reserve on an otherwise common bulb, but those auctions are easy to ignore and are not the auctions I was talking about.

Sometimes, it is also helpful to educate those folks.  Help them to understand what they have so that the next time, they may price their items more realistically.  Take that from someone who has learned the hard way.

quote:
The frustration I expressed was with respect to knowledgeable sellers who post museum-quality bulbs on eBay with seemingly no interest in actually making a sale (my speculation is that they just use eBay as a place to show off).

Sadder still, they use their auctions in conjunction with buddies to depress and/or inflate the value of items in an effort to rip-off other unsuspecting item-owners.

quote:
The frustration I expressed was with respect to knowledgeable sellers who post museum-quality bulbs on eBay with seemingly no interest in actually making a sale (my speculation is that they just use eBay as a place to show off).  

Yes, they do, it seems.

quote:
Again, there is nothing wrong with this,

Yes, there is.  If you want to be a show off, start a website and post your pics there.  Ebay is not intended to be a place to "show-off" or manipulate the pricing on items.  (Ahhh, welcome to the real world.)  The latter is explicitly against the rules, though, hardly manageable.

quote:
it's just frustrating for someone like me -- I'm a bidder who has only recently realized that it's not worth the trouble to bid or follow these auctions.  Heck, even the usual big-bidders don't even bid on these auctions (that should have been a clue).  

Eventually, the jackasses can't help but clearly identify themselves.  Then, you're smart to stay away.

quote:
A recent email discussion with one of these "museum-bulb" sellers confirmed what I have suspected for some time.  This particular seller wrote "...the main reason the ole boys dont bid on my reserve auctions is they know for a fact reserve will not be met."  It's rather easy to conclude from that statement that there is no intent to make a sale.

Did you reply, "Jackass." (?????)

quote:
I doubt that all of us have early Edison "rarebirds" or the early platinum burners, but it would still be neat to see and read about bulbs from other collections.  It would be a great addition to this site provided it wouldn't be too much trouble to create and maintain.

LMAO @ "rarebirds."  For $20, if somebody wanted to spend a little bit of time managing it - one could start the museum at photopoint.com.  (Sorry for the mini-spam, but seriously...) people could send their pics and ID to the manager who could organize them in appropriate photo albums, with captions.  The only time it would take is uploading them, moving them to an album, and spreading the word regarding how to access the "virtual museum."  Even more beautiful is that the manager could control participants, should he/she so desire.

quote:
It's just an idea.  

It sure is.  It's a good idea.

Offline ALM

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2001, 02:02:00 pm »
Tip of the day...

Do a search for "16CP NewType Edison Bamboo Filament Bulb 1890"

Offline Bob Masters

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2001, 10:44:00 am »
Thanks for all of the cool replies folk's!
I really wish we could get some lively discussions going on here in the forum.
If I wanna talk about bulbs anywhere else I have to go outside and find a nice rock to talk to.......(pets wander off eventually)
Ha Ha Ha.....)