BULB DISCUSSION BOARDS > Modern Electric Lighting

Neon flicker-flame lamps

<< < (3/3)

Nick D.:
I had a VERY weird experience with one of these bulbs just the other night. I had an 8-light candolier in a window that was on for the night and I was in the room.  suddenly noticed a 'hot plastic' smell and I looked around for a bit and finally noticed that one of the bulbs was dark on the candelabra. I unscrewed in and found the base very hot.  :-o  :-o  :-o I couldn't see any physical damage like burns or corrosion. The socket was clean as well. I put it back and it worked fine!!  :roll:

We'll never know...  :|

Howard:
Nick D. wrote:

--- Quote ---I had a VERY weird experience with one of these bulbs just the other night. I had an 8-light candolier in a window that was on for the night and I was in the room.  suddenly noticed a 'hot plastic' smell and I looked around for a bit and finally noticed that one of the bulbs was dark on the candelabra. I unscrewed in and found the base very hot.
--- End quote ---

Not so weird, really.  What's happened is that the two electrodes (very, very close together in flicker flame lamps) have short-circuited together (usually due to vibration), the excess current has spot-welded them together.  The full mains voltage is now across the ballast resistor in the cap, which overheats, and if left alone will eventually fail, either to open circuit (safe-ish) or more rarely short circuit (very dangerous - fire or other damage could result in an circuit with incorrectly rated fusing).

However, don't let this worry you undully, it's comparatively rare.  You caught this one in time, and vibration from handling the lamp broke the spot-weld, so restoring the lamp to normal working.

migette:
Overheating and burning,my advice is only use these when you are indoors, and if on at n.ight have a smoke alarm nearby. Funny enough I am not Joking as I have seen many products bearing all the relavent safety standards UL  BSI  DIN etc and quiet frankly would not feel safe with them in a garden shed let alone indoors. No prizes where all this c**p comes from they simply have the safety house labels for whatever country its bound for and stick on that one.
The old neon bulbs (beehives) had a wire wound resister in the base and the dissipated heat was minimal, they used an over size base to hold the resister spool. Also one last point use a very low fuse rating 500mA or less.  Peter (migette1)

Justin:

--- Quote from: Nick D. on February 12, 2012, 11:08:23 pm ---I had a VERY weird experience with one of these bulbs just the other night. I had an 8-light candolier in a window that was on for the night and I was in the room.  suddenly noticed a 'hot plastic' smell and I looked around for a bit and finally noticed that one of the bulbs was dark on the candelabra. I unscrewed in and found the base very hot.  :-o  :-o  :-o I couldn't see any physical damage like burns or corrosion. The socket was clean as well. I put it back and it worked fine!!  :roll:

We'll never know...  :|

--- End quote ---
I have that same Candolier!  Anyway, I've had that issue with the electrodes shorting, too.  I guess it's normal.

Christmas Lamp:
This Is My Candle Arch Lit......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version