Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Trying to locate a modern bulb with an unusual coating.  (Read 17268 times)

Offline Cecil

• New Member!
Trying to locate a modern bulb with an unusual coating.
« on: October 03, 2009, 05:41:19 pm »
I have a chandler which holds 8 candelabra bulbs.  The ones I have been using for many years are 40 watt, colored, the traditional taper, and coated with a very fine grit.  The grit is possible glass or a hard plastic and is not any bigger than a large grain of sand.  I have found similar bulbs with a very course grit, similar to that found on a number of decorative Christmas tree bulbs but the appearance is just not the same.  For years I have stopped at every lighting store I find, I keep a burned out bulb in the glove compartment of my cars, hoping to fine a bulb with this fine a grit but to no avail.  Needless to say I have also combed the internet but without success.

There are no legible markings on the threaded base so I cannot identify the manufacturer.  Any assistance in finding this type of bulb would be greatly appreciated as they look simply beautiful with there bands of colored lighting reflecting off the clear glass chimneys of the chandler.  I can only assume that they may no longer be in production and if this is the case hopefully someone will again start to manufacture them.

Your time and consideration in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Cecil

Offline Chris Kocsis

Re: Trying to locate a modern bulb with an unusual coating.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 11:15:10 am »
Hi Cecil, please post a picture and explain colored.  I'll keep my eyes open.

Chris

Offline Cecil

• New Member!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 09:28:27 am »
Good Morning,

I apologize for the extreme delay in responding to your offer to help.  I do appreciate the offer of assistance.  I have found a number of similar bulbs of different shapes and sizes but none of them had the very small sparkles as the bulbs I am looking for.  Unlike the ones i have found where the sparkles are course almost the size of a half a grain of rice the sparkles on these are more the size of large grains of sand.  It is the fineness of these sparkles that make all the difference when they radiate their bands of light against a glass goblet. 

I am attaching some photos as requested.  The original sets, I had purchased a number of them, of bulbs came in blue, red, green, and yellow.  I would use two of each color in my chandler, a very modern/avant guard version of the old fashioned wagon wheel.  Any help would be greatly appreciated and this time answered in a timely manner.

Cordially,

Cecil

Offline Nick D.

• 60 watt carbon lamp, cobalt glass
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 12:05:03 pm »
Cecil, I have seen those before, but only in a round shape. I think they're called 'Ice' lights...

Offline Cecil

• New Member!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 04:22:52 pm »
Thank you for your reply.  I will look into those and see what I find.  Again, thanks.

Cecil

Offline Nick D.

• 60 watt carbon lamp, cobalt glass
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 12:29:15 am »
Cecil!!! I found this link inside of a link in another forum on this site...

The site says they're from the 60's so they aren't exactly modern.  :roll:

http://fp.enter.net/~jpill612/page2/jsp_pg2.htm

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 12:31:02 am by Nick D. »

Offline Cecil

• New Member!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 07:34:17 am »
You were right on target with this one.  They appear to be exactly like my old light bullbs I have been looking for.  Does this mean that the few I still have working should be considered collectors items.

Thank you very much for forwarding this information to me.  I guess I will not be going down to the local store and ordering a dozen of these but I still would like to find some to actually use.  I know it may sound like heresy, I collect old sealed LPs so understand, but they really are so pretty when inside a clear glass globe.  If in the future you hear of any one wanting to part/sell such a bulb would you please keep me in mind.

Again, thank you for your time and consideration it is greatly appreciated.

Cecil

Offline debook

• 1930's Neon Rabbit by Crescent Moon (UK)
    • debook.com
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 04:00:48 pm »
The material used to decorate these is crushed glass, so should not be too hard to source some and apply to new bulbs with an appropriate glue. Originally it would have been fused with the coloured enamel into the envelope.
Frank Andrews

Offline Yulelights76

• The Yule Lights Collection
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 12:15:01 am »
These Stardust bulbs often show up on ebay. Check out these auctions.
http://collectibles.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=stardust&_sacat=33842&_odkw=&_osacat=33842&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
Note: the bulbs should be stamped "GE USA" on the collar part of the base.