Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Solar powered LED shed light plan. (Updated)  (Read 15314 times)

Offline Yulelights76

• The Yule Lights Collection
Solar powered LED shed light plan. (Updated)
« on: February 09, 2014, 06:11:07 pm »
Now that it's the middle of winter and we are all looking for something to do, here is a plan for a solar powered LED light fixture that I designed and built this past summer.
The light uses 3 watt power LED bulbs, which are incredibly bright and project light over a very wide angle.
This was originally designed as a solar powered light for a shed, but it could also be used in a boat, RV, or anywhere 12 volt DC power is available.
What do you think? Would there be interest in this as a new product? LED lighting has been growing tremendously lately.
If anyone wants to construct this light, feel free to do so and let me know what you think of it.
Anyway, here is the link to the plans. Go to: http://yulelights.com/blog/shedlight.htm

Updated 06/01/14
I'm surprised that there are no replies to this project. I was thinking of making this available as a kit.
There are solar shed lights available at home improvement stores, but I noticed that many reviewers are complaining the light is too dim!
Anyway, here is a picture of the prototype. It's the same photo as on the web site.
Any comments or suggestions contact me at: webmaster(at)yulelights(dot)com

Updated 10/14/2016
Over the summer I made a new and improved version.
The following changes were made to the design.
1-The LED drive circuit is now in a separate switch box. The circuit is more efficient and provides for 3 levels of lighting. This results in longer battery life of 7 hours for a 2.3 amp/hour battery and even longer at lower light levels. Note: the drive circuit is about 90% efficient and luminous efficiency is about 100 lumens/watt.
2- The LED emitters are changed from the cool white type to a neutral white, which is similar to incandescent light.
3- The pilot light draws only 0.2 milliamps. This is insignificant even though it is always lit.

Updated 01/15/2017
I added a battery voltage monitor to the control box. The monitor uses 3 LED's to indicate charge state of battery.
If voltage is above 10 volts, a green LED lights. If voltage is between 8 and 10 volts, a yellow LED lights, indicating weak battery,
and if voltage drops below 8 volts, a red LED lights indicating battery must be charged or replaced.

Well, here is the link to the plans for the "new and improved" Shed light
http://yulelights.com/blog/shedlightv2.htm
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 06:49:14 pm by Yulelights76 »