Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: GE Mazda Bulb - Could someone help me?  (Read 17079 times)

Offline DakRoland

• New Member!
  • "Now....Light our darkest hour!" - Rodimus Prime
GE Mazda Bulb - Could someone help me?
« on: August 25, 2005, 07:38:41 pm »
Okay, the story goes like this...

In my garage was this light bulb. It seemed kind of odd looking, but I never paid it much heed because it was, simply put, just another light bulb to me. About 3 years ago, it stopped working and I never bothered with it because my garage door opener had it's own timed light. Well, yesterday I decided I needed to replace the bulb with a working one, since my Dad and I would need the extra light when we got to work on my car. I took the old bulb out, put it in a bag and put the new bulb in it's place. Then curiosity got the best of me so I took a closer look at the old bulb. It was oddly shaped for a bulb, and I noticed there seem to be a lot of filament in it. I put it back in the bag and thought about it for a bit. When I dad came over to help me with my car, I showed him the bulb. He immediately said "Mike, you have a really old bulb. That's a collector's item!" I didn't believe him at first, but he insisted. So I set it aside to look it up later.

Amazingly, after cleaning up the bulb, I noticed it has a stamp on the top that shows the GE symbol, and the word MAZDA above the symbol and 40W-115V underneath the stamp. There is no glass nib on the top of the bulb, so it doesn't look like hand blown glass. A brief look online brought up some information about the Mazda line of bulbs, but unfortunately, I've not been able to track down this particular bulb. I'm beginning to think it's nothing but an ordinary common bulb from around the 1930's. But I could be wrong, so I bring to you, the experts, my bulb...

I noticed too that the filaments seemed to be intact. After cleaning up the bulb a little more, I tested it in one of my light sockets, and lo-and-behold, it lit up!! So this is a working specimen. Also, on the center glass 'stamen' there are some numbers stamped into the glass. On the side with the electrical leads, there is a "4" and "A 5" in a triangle pattern. On the other side is the number "20".

If it's worth anything, if it's common, if it's rare, I'd really appreciate any help you can provide.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 07:43:14 pm by DakRoland »

Offline DakRoland

• New Member!
Re: GE Mazda Bulb - Could someone help me?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 07:41:13 pm »
One more image...

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 09:24:12 am »
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story of how you came across the old bulb.? This is a fairly typical drawn tungsten filament bulb made by GE and dates to around 1920 or so.? These bulbs were mass produced and today they can still be found relatively easy thanks to eBay.? Having said this, there isn’t much collector value for this particular bulb however, there are always people with vintage light fixtures looking to re-lamp them with authentic period bulbs.? This bulb would appeal more to the latter.? Be careful when handling the bulb.? The long drawn filament is quite delicate and susceptible to damage if handled roughly.

Offline DakRoland

• New Member!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 08:25:00 pm »
Thank you for your help, Tim. It's pretty much what I figured. The bulb looked pretty common to me. I was just a little curious due to my Dad having never seen this type before. That makes sense since it must have been around about 10 years before he was born, and by the time he was old enough to even care about bulbs, things had changed a lot. It's still a neat find to me, anyhow, whether there is any value in them or not. In searching through your galleries and other sites online, I've gotten quite the education about the history of electric light.

Thank you again for your help.

Offline Mónico González

• Philips HP-80w Mercury Lamp
    • Mis Bombillas, peque?o museo virtual de la l?mpara el?ctrica.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 05:38:35 am »
Hi!
It's a curious thing to note that such a kind of lamp are being newly "re-birth" as reproduction or replica bulb, at least here in Europe.
The german manufacturer PAULMANN has in production a model called "Rustika Multifilament" that isn't another thing that a genuine, pear shaped and E27 brass based high vacuum drawn tungsten filament lamp, that looks almost the same as your 1920's one, unless those lamps are 230 volts rated.
At my website you can see a sample of them:

http://www.mis-bombillas.com/Mis-Bombi-Web/Rustika_MF_230_60.htm

Regards,
M. Gonz?lez.

http://www.mis-bombillas.com

Offline MI_bulb

• New Member!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 01:00:12 pm »
Im going to tack this story to the end of DakRoland's since its so related. If i dont get much response than maybe i'll start a new thread.

Anyway, i just found a bulb similar to what DakRoland showed in this thread, with the following exception. My Bulb DOES have a 'nib' on the top, and thus no stamp stating what wattage or voltage. Instead, there is a paper 'sticker' that is on one side to the buld stating "25 watt 120 volts". The other sticker states "peerless Mazda".

A stamp similar to what DakRoland shows is on the bulb but i can just barely make it out as to say, National? Mazda and i think the old GE logo.

I am believing that this particular bulb may be older that DakRoland's but want more information as to when this configuration was made (i havent seen any information to date regarding this).

If anyone could provide information or direct me toward where i may get information, it wouold be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks, MI_bulb

PS> many appologies Dak...and ty for the response
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 01:36:05 pm by MI_bulb »

Offline DakRoland

• New Member!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 01:06:34 pm »
It certainly sounds much older than my bulb. Your best bet to get answers I think is to post images of your bulb. If you need someone to host your pictures, I'd be happy to put them on my site alongside my photos so you can post them in here. If you'd like to, PM me for my address.

(And not to nit-pick, but the name is just "Dak", no 'r' in first name. :) Thanks!)

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 04:43:50 pm »
I am believing that this particular bulb may be older that DakRoland's but want more information as to when this configuration was made (i havent seen any information to date regarding this).

MI_bulb,

This is true, your bulb is a bit older.? The time frame would be around 1912-1920, but I can’t narrow it down any further.? Perhaps someone else reading may be able to help pin-point a date based on the bulb’s labels.? In terms of being collectible, my reply above to Dak would also apply to your bulb assuming it’s the same design, but with an exhaust tip.

Regarding picture posting- don’t worry about webspace.? Images may be uploaded to the forum when you post your message/reply.? They are stored on this server so you don’t need to worry about uploading them offsite.