Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Light Bulb Display Shelf  (Read 15207 times)

Offline bering

Light Bulb Display Shelf
« on: May 17, 2000, 09:34:00 pm »
Sometimes collecting bulbs can be the easy part.

The real challenge is how to display your wonderful bulbs. I have found a pretty good solution: I had custom Lucite shelves made. The shelf is 4" deep x 3/8" thick. It is attached perpendicular to a 1" Lucite bracket that allows the shelf to be hung on the wall. After I received the shelves, I drilled 1.75" holes offset so that 1/8th of the hole extends over the edge. This allows the bulb to be securely held while affording an open view of the filament and base. I am very pleased with the finished result. I recently noticed that the Smithsonian is using a similar type display.

Good luck with your displays.... Bill

[This message has been edited by bering (edited May 18, 2000).]
WRA

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Light Bulb Display Shelf
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2000, 11:24:00 pm »
Very nice display Bill, thanks for sharing the picture. I like how the bulbs are at eye level too. Were there any tricks to drilling the Lucite to prevent cracking?

Anyone else come up with novel ways to display their collections? Please reply here and share!

------------------
-Tim

Offline Bob Masters

Light Bulb Display Shelf
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2000, 12:47:00 pm »
That IS a very nice way to display the bulbs. Have you tried that with a mirror behind them ?

-Bob-

Offline Dave

Light Bulb Display Shelf
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2000, 08:13:00 pm »
That's a nice display...gives an excellent view of the bulbs...definitely elimanates the need to pay a lot of $$$ for a large number of sockets.

DMD

Light Bulb Display Shelf
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2000, 08:33:00 pm »
What a wonderful display Bill. From what I can see you have put together one heck of a collection of Incandescent Lighting. Keep up the nice work.Looking forward to seeing you in ohio on the 10th of June.

[This message has been edited by Jerry R Westlick (edited May 22, 2000).]

Offline Scott

Light Bulb Display Shelf
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2000, 10:44:00 am »
NIce display shelf! Sharp! Mine's nowhere near that classy  I use beany baby display cases with cleat sockets inside. Some are wired, some not. The boxes are inexpensive, and keep the bulbs from damage,and if you have to move,they're easy to pack. Scott

Offline bering

Light Bulb Display Shelf
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2000, 11:38:00 pm »
Tim, regarding drilling the lucite, I used a common hole saw bit (such the ones you use to drill a hole for a lock set.) I drilled the holes using a drill press. I never had a problem with any cracking.

Bob, I have tried a mirror and it is intersting, but I have elected to place historic ads and pictures behind the bulbs.

WRA

Offline Bob Masters

Light Bulb Display Shelf
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2000, 06:39:00 am »
Bill,
Now that's something I hadn't considered! I have been amassing quite a few period newspapers ranging from Edisons first big success to Lighting ships at sea ! Lots more to go too. That's still the simplest most effective way to display bulbs that I've seen
yet. Excellent !
-Bob-

------------------

Offline Ray Minton

• New Member!
Light Bulb Display Shelf
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2000, 10:55:00 pm »
What a wonderful assortment of bulbs !
Ray Minton

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Light Bulb Display Shelf
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2000, 01:13:00 pm »
http://www.acrylicdisplays.com/

I completely forgot about this place here in Michigan. They make acrylic display cases specifically for collectibles. I use the closed steps in my oak case that allows me to elevate a row of tubes or bulbs for easier viewing. But looking through their site I see they make enclosed cases that could be hung on a wall with shelving inside. I'm sure he does custom work too and could probably bore the holes in the shelves for the bulbs. Hmmmmm, more ideas!

------------------
-Tim