Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Reproduction?  (Read 9013 times)

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Reproduction?
« on: July 03, 2001, 09:20:00 am »
Can anyone tell me the vintage of this Luxram? I think it may be a modern repro (within the last few decades that is) but I'm not certain. I was going to resell but I've become attached to it and will likely keep it  

TIA,

------------------
-Tim
BulbCollector.com
DewCollector.com

Offline Chris W. Millinship

Reproduction?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2001, 02:15:00 pm »
Well, I`m not an expert as I`m sure you know, but something about that bulb says to me Vintage European. I`m sure I`ve seen that base style on an antique European lamp or two I have here- and usually reproductions use the current base types don`t they, not ones specially made to look like the early ones? That`s probably not a base style of the last 30 years, they are simpler than that- although feel free to put me straight if I`m wrong.

Nice bulb though whatever the age...was it destined for Ebay? Too bad...  

Reproduction?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2001, 02:22:00 pm »
This Osram bulb of mine, which I guess to be from the mid to late 1910s... http://electriclights.tripod.com/bulbs/osramcageglobe.htm  ...its base is quite similar- flat brass button and bulged black glass insulation. I`m pretty sure European lamp capss havn`t been made like this for quite a long time.

Offline James

• www.lamptech.co.uk
Reproduction?
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2001, 08:50:00 pm »
Hi Tim,

I would date that as being a Philips lamp made around 1910 in Eindhoven.  Luxram was (and still is today) a brand name of Philips that is popular in the UK but is sometimes seen overseas.

As Chris points out, the indented brass rim to effect better retention of the vitrite insulation, and other features identify it as an early Philips cap.  Also it employs the old pink cap paste which had disappeared from use by about 1930.  Its a stunning specimen you have there and in superb condition so I would definitely hang on to it if it were mine!

Chris - nice Osram lamp you have there!  You have it labelled as a British Osram lamp though, and I think it is in fact from Berlin.  The style of lettering on the glass and the characteristic cap design, along with the German "32K" for Hefner Candles (not the same as the British CP), firmly identifies it as a lamp from German Osram.  Its a very early tunsgten specimen though, the pigtailed lower support wires of thick wire were one of the earliest styles used.

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Reproduction?
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2001, 09:41:00 pm »
Thanks Chris and James for your thoughts on this bulb - I really appreciate the information and details you provided.

Chris - ya it was destined for ebay but I don't think I can part with it since it caught my eye right away   Nice Osram bulb too you have!

------------------
-Tim
BulbCollector.com
DewCollector.com

Reproduction?
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2001, 08:10:00 am »
James, thanks for the info on my Osram lamp- it came from Ebay and the seller advertised it as being British- perhaps that is where he bought it? I did think the 32K might be German, but for a slightly wrong reason. I`ll update the details when I get chance...so much to do.....

Reproduction?
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2001, 12:59:00 pm »
...German "32K" for Hefner Candles (not the same as the British CP..

James- could you tell me what the conversion factor between Hefner Candles and British candlepower is please? Ie- how many Hefner Candles to 1 British cp? Is British cp the same as US cp?

I`m currently in the process of updating my Osram bulb page but I would like to say a little more about Hefner Candles on there, if possible.

thanks