Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: English Light Bulbs  (Read 16207 times)

Offline Abott Townsend

• New Member!
English Light Bulbs
« on: February 12, 2002, 09:08:00 am »
Does anyone collect very early english bulbs?

Abott

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
English Light Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2002, 09:14:00 am »

Offline Abott Townsend

• New Member!
English Light Bulbs
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2002, 02:45:00 pm »
Have been collecting old light bulbs for ages now. Is there any type of club or gathering of people who collect bulbs?

Thanks,Abott

Offline Bob Masters

English Light Bulbs
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2002, 05:42:00 pm »
Abott,

As far as I know this is it !
There are a lot of great people who
exchange thoughts, info, etc....here !

When did you start collecting ?

Oh....WELCOME ABOARD !
-Bob-

Offline Tim

• Administrator
English Light Bulbs
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2002, 05:54:00 pm »
Welcome to the forum Abott,

There are quite a few bulb collectors and historians on this forum and we are always excited to have other people join in the discussions here or create new topics.  As far as I know, this is the only public gathering place to chew the rag regarding this type of thing.  I don't know of any current collector clubs out there but the idea of creating one has always floated around.

On the subject of English bulbs, I do collect them when I can find them.   I don't limit my collecting to American made bulbs but I enjoy searching for early bulbs from just about any country that manufactured them including England.

------------------
Tim
Kilokat's Antique Light Bulb Site
Mountain Dew Collectibles, Volume I

Offline Abott Townsend

• New Member!
English Light Bulbs
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2002, 06:06:00 pm »
Hi there, We also collect just about anything but our fondest admiration is for early english lamps. Have you ever heard of or seen any english glow lamps from British-Electric or Lane-Fox? I thought I had read on your forum there was a meeting of bulb collectors last fall and does this still exist?

Thanks,Abott

Offline Tim

• Administrator
English Light Bulbs
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2002, 06:14:00 pm »
Abott,

There have been small informal meetings held yearly in the past.  The info is usually posted here before the meetings take place (by the people who host them.)

------------------
Tim

Offline dean

English Light Bulbs
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2002, 10:15:00 am »
Hello Collectors

Actually, once a year- usually in September, a small group of "hardcore" collecters- (people that spend more than $5.00 for an early bulb) gather to discuss, trade, and purchase early electrical items. These meetings are formally posted on Tim's site. Usually held in Elmore, Ohio- the home of   The Portage Museum Of Incandescent Lighting. In 2002, the meeting will most likely be held at a different venue. Keep checking for postings usually in late spring.

As an aside, I would like to thank Tim for sparking the interest of many a collector of early bulbs. This site is a pleasure to navigate. I would also like to thank Jerry R Westlick and Bill Anderson for keeping that flame alive with the soon to be released website www.historicalpowerandlight.com

Peace To All,

Dean
dean

Offline Abott Townsend

• New Member!
English Light Bulbs
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2002, 06:17:00 pm »
Dean, Many thanks for your reply. I will keep my eyes open for the next meeting of light bulb collectors. Do you know who might have some early english glow lamps like a lane-fox or british electric that i could take a look at? Do you think there is any of these that collectors might?

Abott

Offline James

• www.lamptech.co.uk
English Light Bulbs
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2002, 11:32:00 pm »
Hi Abott, welcome to the forum!  A few months ago I published a magazine article on British lamp collectors and included in this piece was a photo of a Lane-Fox lamp.  This was the earlier type with the tip-off on the crown of the bulb - later models sensibly relocated the tip to the side of the neck, to reduce risk of breakage.  I am reproducing the original of this photo below which I hope you find of interest.

Personally I find the Lane-Fox lamps among the most elegant of historic lamps, from both the technical and aesthetic standpoints.  The ingenious employment of small mercury pool conductors to circumvent competitors patents as well as the overall appearance of these perfectly made lamps, every one of which includes a detailed handwritten label, makes them very highly prized in most collections!

Which company are you referring to as "British Electric"?  I have not come across this name before.  Do you perhaps mean the General Electric Co. of England (now Osram) or British Thomson-Houston (now GE Lighting Europe)?

Best regards,

James.

Offline Abott Townsend

• New Member!
English Light Bulbs
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2002, 07:07:00 am »
Hello James, WOW Is all I can say to such a fantastic early english glow lamp by Lane-Fox. It is hard to believe that things of this magnitude can still be in existance. What year do you date this paticular lamp to? Does it have the drilled carbon rods that hold the filament? What material is the filament constructed of? Someone has sent me some literature from a 1884 english lighting book by Auglave and Boulard and in there they depict a Lane-Fox with a wood cup base on it. It states the lamp is of 1881 vintage? These are all just dreams for me to find as I dont think you will ever find this type of glow lamp forsale.

Thanks,Abott

Offline Abott Townsend

• New Member!
English Light Bulbs
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2002, 12:05:00 pm »
Hi James, If you look at the picture of the William J Hammer collection you will see a bulb labeled British Electric. From what I ascertain British Electric produced bulbs of Lane-Fox after 1884.

Thanks,Abott

Offline Tim

• Administrator
English Light Bulbs
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2002, 12:37:00 pm »
Info that I have would suggest that Lane-Fox partnered up with the British Electric Light Co. in an effort to develop an entire electric light / power distribution system (as Edison had) with B.E. being a unit of this plan.  I don't think B.E. actually produced the lamps but rather had involvement with the power distribution portion.  Maybe James has more details on this...

Fantastic picture James!

------------------
Tim

Offline Abott Townsend

• New Member!
English Light Bulbs
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2002, 08:50:00 pm »
Hi Tim, Many thanks for your information. I just have always seen Lane-Fox and British Electric used in the same context as possibly the same company at different times. James, That picture you have posted of the Lane-Fox, is that the one that is on display at the London Museum of Science?

Thanks, Abott

Offline Scott

English Light Bulbs
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2002, 10:38:00 am »
I have a few British bulbs, old and new, the vast majority of them gifts from Peter Bent, who posts here occassionally.I can't say I'm all that knowledgeable about British bulbs, tho'. Around 1994, a friend of mine went to Scotland, and brought me back a few British sockets and bulbs-one of which has been on continously out in my garage since then. At 120 volts, a 240 bulb should last a looong time.