Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Metal Halide Searchlight  (Read 11061 times)

Offline pSlawinski

• Westinghouse Lamps
    • Metal-Halide.net
Metal Halide Searchlight
« on: January 29, 2005, 12:28:12 am »
OK, I am looking to turn my 1000W metal halide lamp into a searchlight.? I need some ideas on how to do this.? I know I will need a reflector that I can fit the lamp.? I need to know where to find a reflector that would work for this lamp and create a tight beam.? Would a regular spotlight (sports light) reflector work?? Would I need something specially machined?? I need to keep this as cheap as possible; I do not have a very large budget.? ?http://www.metal-halide.net/index.php?id=gallery&cat=HID&scat=MH&bulb=M1000BX-U

Offline mr_big

Re: Metal Halide Searchlight
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 05:41:44 pm »
you can try a sports reflector although I am not sure how bright it would be

Offline Zelandeth

• Cold Philips SOX 35W
    • Zel's Lair - an assorted grab bag of lighting information, automotive mayhem, and anything else I remember to upload
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 04:11:48 pm »
Problem you're going to have there is that the MH lamp you've got has a very long arc.  Due to this you'll need a HUGE reflector if you're wanting to get a laser-like beam.

It's for this reason that most professional searchlights of that sort of power rating use short arc lamps, so that it's a far smaller source that needs to be focused.

You've got a LOT of light there, and if you can track down a reflector with the right characteristcs I'm sure it's doable...but I think you're going to need a reflector the size of one of those massive satellite dishes that started appearing for TV reception in the late 90s...

Offline mr_big

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 02:09:22 pm »
I saw your short arc mercury vapor bulb today and maybe yo could use that if you have the right equipment to run it and the right enclosure for it these can and do explode