Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Upcoming 1890 Edison Trial Evidence auction  (Read 34183 times)

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Upcoming 1890 Edison Trial Evidence auction
« on: November 08, 2006, 08:02:40 am »
For anyone who hasn't yet heard, Christies in London will be auctioning a historic collection of incandescent lamps on December 13th, 2006.? The lamp collection forms the basis for the trial evidence presented in the historic 1890 Edison vs. United States Electric Light Company.? These lamps have been recently discovered after reportedly being hidden away for a century.? There has been much publicity for this auction including a recent video that now resides on You Tube.? More details and photos can be found at the links referenced below

Comments anyone?

Edison Trial Evidence Collection Exhibits

You Tube Video

Christies Home Page

« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 06:12:24 am by tim »

Offline Tim

• Administrator
Re: Upcoming 1890 Edison Trial Evidence auction
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 08:00:17 am »
The online catalog is now available for Lot #138 and can found at the link below:

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/search/LOTDETAIL.ASP?sid=&intObjectID=4841257

« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 08:27:34 am by tim »

Offline Chip Crider

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 01:58:55 am »
I will make some comments.  They are all my opinion and based on the materials I have in my possession and
facts that I know to be true.  But first, let me say that I have no financial interest in the auction nor will
I be bidding (I don't want to remortgage the house).

I think this auction has been hyped.  First of all, at most only the 7 tar putty lamps were used as evidence
in the trial.  The rest are just Howell's personal accumulation of bulbs which he accumulated by being in the
business from the very start.  There is not one shred of evidence to prove that the other lamps were used in
the trial.  Nor is there evidence that the box was the same box either.  And the baloney about the eye loupes
is pure speculation.  Also conspicuously missing is the details of how these lamps surfaced and who has a
financial interest in them.

How can I make these statements?  Well, I just happen to have in my library the complete transcripts of the
trial.  These comprise 10 volumes about 8 x 10 in size taking up 18 inches of shelf space and weighing 42
pounds (I will post a photo on Monday).  Volumes 1 to 9 were printed as the trial went on for several years
and the various parties involved needed copies of the testimony and the paper evidence that was presented.
They comprise over 6000 pages. Volume 10 is the final closing arguments by the attorneys from both sides and
comprises 854 pages.  I have what appears to be the original copies as typewritten by the court stenographer.
This set once belonged to one Francis Robbins Upton - remember him?  They were given to his alma mater and
later deaccessed.  A antiquarian bookseller bought them from the school and I bought them from him.  I also
have the pamphlet printed by the Edison interests detailing the judge's decision and well as ongoing reports
of the trial which were printed in various electrical journals.

Now to examine a few facts.  According to the transcripts Howell presented 26 tar putty lamps in a box.  Well,
the box here has only 24 compartments.  I guess he must have had a bulb in each pocket too.   He also
presented a document outlining the electrical characteristics of the lamps.  This is contained elsewhere in
the transcripts.  I read it; all of the 26 lamps were tar putty - no Lane Fox, no Maxim, no Menlo Park lamps,
no Edison effect tubes- just tar putty.  He testified that he made several more lamps than the 26 presented,
but not many.  There was no mention of anyone examining the evidence or of an eye loupe.  So, at most, only
the 7 tar putty lamps were presented as evidence.  Oh, by the way, Howell also presented the tools that he
used to make the lamps.

Were the tar putty lamps the evidence upon which the whole case hinged?   Not by a long shot.  There was a
huge amount of testimony from experts for both sides and hundreds of items introduced as evidence.  Also,
there was lots of paper evidence as well.  Howell's testimony (direct, cross examine, redirect, recross) only
filled 36 pages and there were and additional 9 pages (direct, cross) of testimony from his assistant who
tested the lamps.  Yes, Edison lost in England because no one schooled in the art could make the lamps
according to the patent.  English law is different that US law and is irrelevant in this case.  The tar putty
lamps were mentioned but were not prominent in the closing arguments.   Edison's descriptions in the patent
and the combination of his ideas were.  Throughout the hearings the lawyers were trying all kinds of clever
things to derail Edison's case; the tar putty lamps were just a response to this.

A few comments about the Edison effect bulb.  What a nice piece.  Unfortunately, it is not as unique as
claimed.  About 5 years ago I learned of a radio collector that obtained 2 of these bulbs with the copper
plated filament attachment that were used with the short Edison screw base (i.e. the same time period).  They were given to
the English electrician Preece and were in a UK museum.  The collector, who wishes to remain anonymous, traded
  stuff to the museum for them.  Also, about 33 years ago, I saw an Edison effect tube in a tube collector's
basement.  I was astounded - it was sitting on a shelf just above his lathe.  It was so long ago I cannot
remember any details of its construction.  I haven't checked with the Smithsonian, Dearborn, or West Orange to
see if they have any.  I bet there are more of these around.

Unfortunately, Christies believed some of the hype.  If you examine their listing you will see that labels on
the bulbs which were numbered from 1 to 22 are described as courtroom squares.  Then they say that they all
were used as evidence in the trial.  And then they repeat the claims about the box and the eye loupe.  Look in
particular at bulb number 22.  Howell's description says it was made in 1894.  So the court came out 2 years
after the case was decided and placed an evidence label on a bulb that had just been made???  No folks, those
labels were most probably put on years later by Howell when he made the little write-up in the lid of the box.
 Read his write-up - he only mentions that the 7 tar putty bulbs were made for use as evidence in the trial
(he doesn't even say that they were used as evidence although most probably were).

All the above being said, what a fabulous collection of lamps.  I have no doubt that they are all genuine;
just the majority of them were not trial evidence and one not nearly as unique as claimed.  It will be
interesting to see what they go for.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 12:54:00 am by Chip Crider »

Offline Chip Crider

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 03:53:18 pm »
As promised:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 04:03:16 pm by Chip Crider »

Offline Chip Crider

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 04:17:59 pm »
The whole set:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 04:20:11 pm by Chip Crider »

Offline Laurence

• New Member!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 07:50:52 am »
Dear friends and fellow international light bulb collectors,

In light of the previous posts, I wish to answer several questions, statements and queries which have come to light (pardon the pun), in order for any misleading information which has arisen from the above source.
It is without doubt and without question, that I, as an ambassador of Christie's, work to consign, sell and press all lots offered to the globe with honesty, transparency and fact so that our clients are purchasing lots with confidence, trust and knowledge.? I therefore submit the following post to answer every single question that has been asked on the posts above on this thread in detail, to straighten any corners.?

Lets put this affair under the spotlight:

(Statement #1)
- ?There is not one shred of evidence to prove that the other lamps were used in the trial.?

(Answer #1 - a)
The string tags on four specimens are handwritten by William H. Meadowcroft, Notary Public for the NY Court who signed most of the rest of the exhibit evidence for the Edison Lamp Infringement cases. b) Lamp 8, 9, and 10 each have paper labels used for marking exhibit evidence. c) The paragraph below is a statement taken from Rutgers Edison Papers. To find this on the net, search Google with, ?QD012 Rutgers? The resulting link will bring you to the following:
Litigation Series -- Printed Court Records: Edison Electric Light Co. v. U.S. Electric Lighting Co. (1885-1892)
[QD012]
This infringement suit was initiated by the Edison Electric Light Company in 1885. The Edison interests claimed that the lamp patents of William E. Sawyer and Albon Man, which had been assigned to the United States Electric Lighting Company, infringed on Edison's patent for lamp filaments (U.S. Patent No. 223,898). Most of the testimony and exhibits from the earlier patent interference proceedings (Sawyer and Man v. Edison, 1881) were subsequently entered into the record of this case. Other testimony was heard in 1889 and 1890, and the appeal was argued in 1892. Depositions and exhibits from two other cases (the McKeesport Case and the Trenton Feeder Case), which were initiated at a later date but decided while this case was still being heard, were also entered into the record. The events detailed by the testimony and exhibits all occurred between 1878 and 1882. The original bill of complaint, filed in 1885, is bound with the patent interference (see Miscellaneous Bound Interferences). The Digest of Proofs and Index, which precedes the printed court records on the microfilm, provides a comprehensive name and subject index to the case.

This paragraph provides a good example of how the exhibits from several Edison lamp infringement cases became part of the title case in the Landmarks catalogue.? There is a whole lot more to the trial once explored thoroughly.

(Statement #2)
- ? Nor is there evidence that the box was the same box either.?

(Answer #2 - a)
The box is known to be in the possession of John W. Howell, the ?witness.? b) The note of provenance was written by Howell, c) A number of Tar-putty lamps are inside the box. d) The Tar-putty lamps have numerous paper court squares attached. e) A number of other lamps in the box have paper court squares used typically to mark exhibit evidence. f) A number of other lamps in the box have paper court string tags used typically to mark exhibit evidence. g) the box has a security lock. h) The box is partitioned with waxed card stock used typically to hold court records and proffered evidence. i) The box has a COURT square attached at the corner of each of the 24 partitioned compartments.
From the facts known, it is highly unlikely the box was intended for some other use.

(Statement #3)
- ? And the baloney about the eye loupes is pure speculation.?

(Answer #3 - a)
The loupes were found in the box by the Grandson of the estate. b) The box is known to be in the possession of John W. Howell, the ?witness.? c) The note of provenance was written by Howell, d) A number of Tar-putty lamps are inside the box. e) The Tar-putty lamps have numerous paper court squares attached. f) A number of other lamps in the box have paper court squares used typically to mark exhibit evidence. g) A number of other lamps in the box have paper court string tags used typically to mark exhibit evidence. h) the box has a security lock. i) The box is partitioned with waxed card stock used typically to hold court records and proffered evidence. j) The box has a COURT square attached at the corner of each of the 24 partitioned compartments.
From the facts known, it is highly unlikely the loupes were in the box are there for some other use.? The box and loupes go hand-in-hand as accompaniments.

(Statement #4)
- ?Also conspicuously missing is ([sic.] should be "are") the details of how these lamps surfaced and who has a financial interest in them.?

(Answer #4 - a)
The discovery and ownership has been documented by highly respected law firms. b) The discoverer wishes to remain private. c) The owner wishes to remain private. d) As with all consignments, the ownership remains a private financial matter.

(Statement #5)
 - ?Well, I just happen to have in my library the complete transcripts of the trial. These comprise 10 volumes about 8 x 10 in size taking up 18 inches of shelf space and weighing 42 pounds (I will post a photo on Monday). Volumes 1 to 9 were printed as the trial went on for several years and the various parties involved needed copies of the testimony and the paper evidence that was presented. They comprise over 6000 pages. Volume 10 is the final closing arguments by the attorneys from both sides and comprises 854 pages. I have what appears to be the original copies as typewritten by the court stenographer. This set once belonged to one Francis Robbins Upton - remember him? They were given to his alma mater and later deaccessed. A antiquarian bookseller bought them from the school and I bought them from him. I also have the pamphlet printed by the Edison interests detailing the judge's decision and well as ongoing reports of the trial which were printed in various electrical journals.?

(Answer #5 - a) Great - I have access to copies too - great read.

(Statement #6)
- ?Now to examine a few facts. According to the transcripts Howell presented 26 tar putty lamps in a box. Well, the box here has only 24 compartments. I guess he must have had a bulb in each pocket too.?

(Answer #6 - a)
By way of expert witness schooled in the art, the wooden box, with all of its features is the real box. It was not originally made special for just the Tar-putty lamps. The depth of the box would have been shallower if just for the Tar-putty purpose. At its size it would easily fit the 26 Tar-putty lamps as stated in the court transcripts. It would in fact fit 48 (the expert witness easily fitting two Tar-putty lamps into one compartment). The depth of the box is I believe made for the longer 1880?s Edison lamps like 8, 9, 10, and 20.

(Statement #7)
- ?He (Howell) also presented a document outlining the electrical characteristics of the lamps. This is contained elsewhere in the transcripts. I read it; all of the 26 lamps were tar putty - no Lane Fox, no Maxim, no Menlo Park lamps.?

(Answer #7 - a)
Yes, Edison was involved in litigation with each of the inventors, Sir Joseph Swan, St. George Lane Fox, and Sir Hiram Maxim to which the lamps by those inventors were exhibit evidence.

(Statement #8)
- ?no Menlo Park lamps?

(Answer #8)
- For the Patent Interference, Edison made and sent unique unmistakable Patent model exhibits to the Patent Office. The models were unique because they were made with ?bamboo? coil filaments NOT CARBONIZED. Each coil was simply blackened by lamp black.

(Statement #9)
- ?He (Howell) testified that he made several more lamps than the 26 presented, but not many.?

(Answer #9)
- John W. Howell made his Tar-putty lamps during March and April of 1890 (source: Edison Transcript pg. 3460). He made 30 to 40 Tar-putty lamps (source: pg. 26, ?Stories for my Children? by J.W. Howell, 1930). A number were used for life tests by Charles Deshler (source: Edison Transcript pg. 3505), 26 were used as evidence exhibits (source: Edison Transcript pg. 3461).

(Statement #10)
- ?There was no mention of anyone examining the evidence or of an eye loupe.? (This is a repetition question, hence my answer.)

(Answer #10)
- (See answer #3.)

(Statement #11) - ?So, at most, only the 7 tar putty lamps were presented as evidence.?

(Answer #11)
- Seven of the 26 Tar-putty Lamps placed into evidence on July 8, 1890 in Edison Electric Light Co. v. United States Electric Lighting.?

(Statement #12)
- ?Were the tar putty lamps the evidence upon which the whole case hinged? Not by a long shot.?;... "Oh, by the way, Howell also presented the tools that he used to make the lamps."?

(Answer #12)
 - John W. Howell and many involved in the case, including the Judge gave the credit to the Tar Putty lamps. John W. Howell states, ?A number of these lamps were burned on life test for 600 hours and were good lamps. Our lawyers were immensely pleased and I got a raise. Then I testified about making the lamps and stood my cross-examination well, and I got another raise. During the argument my testimony was bitterly but unsuccessfully attacked. The court sustained the Patent, and the judge said in his decision that my testimony has completely refuted the claims that the patent did not give sufficient information to enable a man schooled in the art to make the lamps. then I got another raise. Three raises for this work! I also received many congratulations for this work, some from lawyers and officers of the defeated company.? (Source: pg. 26, ?Stories for my Children? by J.W. Howell, 1930.)

(Statement #13)
- ?There was a huge amount of testimony from experts for both sides and hundreds of items introduced as evidence. Also, there was lots of paper evidence as well. Howell's testimony (direct, cross examine, redirect, recross) only filled 36 pages and there were and additional 9 pages (direct, cross) of testimony from his assistant who tested the lamps. Yes, Edison lost in England because no one schooled in the art could make the lamps according to the patent. English law is different to US law and is irrelevant in this case. The tar putty lamps were mentioned but were not prominent in the closing arguments. Edison's descriptions in the patent and the combination of his ideas were. Throughout the hearings the lawyers were trying all kinds of clever things to derail Edison's case; the tar putty lamps were just a response to this.?? (Again, a repetition of a previous statement)

(Answer #13) - (See Answer #12.)

(Statement #14)
- ?A few comments about the Edison effect bulb. What a nice piece. Unfortunately, it is not as unique as claimed. About 5 years ago I learned of a radio collector that obtained 2 of these bulbs with the copper plated filament attachment and the short Edison screw base (i.e. the same time period). They were given to the English electrician Preece and were in a UK museum. The collector, who wishes to remain anonymous, traded stuff to the museum for them. Also, about 33 years ago, I saw an Edison effect tube in a tube collector's basement. I was astounded - it was sitting on a shelf just above his lathe. It was so long ago I cannot remember any details of its construction. I haven't checked with the Smithsonian, Dearborn, or West Orange to see if they have any. I bet there are more of these around.?

(Answer #14)
- Lamp #20 has the provenance of the handwritten note by John W. Howell that clearly states, ?Lamp #20 - lamp used by Edison in 1883 in his experiments on the Edison Effect.? By this writing, the confirmed provenance of Lamp #20 makes it the earliest known, therefore, the first. All the opinions and accusations to the contrary do not change that fact. Speaking about seeing other examples in years past. It is said in professional circle that without data its just another opinion. If those lamps speculated about are brought forth, they must come with clear confirmable earlier provenance to challenge the now known electron Holy Grail, Lamp #20.? As you may know, the common examples have a plate, not a wire Anode. (I have handled a few of these in my time too.)?

(Statement #15)
- ?Unfortunately, Christies believed some of the hype. If you examine their listing you will see that labels on the bulbs which were numbered from 1 to 22 are described as courtroom squares. . . . No folks, those labels were most probably put on years later by Howell when he made the little write-up in the lid of the box.?

(Answer #15)
- The labels placed on top of the lot of bulbs are no doubt court squares used to number the lamps in the collection. No opinion, just fact - I cannot help but see them as can everyone else.

(Statement #16)
- ?Look in particular at bulb number 22. Howell's description says it was made in 1894. So the court came out 2 years after the case was decided and placed an evidence label on a bulb that had just been made????

(Answer #16)
- Regarding Lamp #22 suggesting that it could not be a part of the trial that ended in 1892 because it was made in 1894;? ?John W. Howell wrote about this lamp in his note of provenance ". . . made about 1894," that was for good reason. The Edison lamp court cases continued up until Edison's patent expired on November 4, 1894. The fact remains the lamp is a rare specimen in amongst a box of judicial evidence exhibits. Lamp #22 is in fact a twin filament design prototype which improved on Edison's single filament lamp patent rights and was made to extend the General Electric?s lamp intellectual property rights. This lamp design came to mass production as the famous GEM (General Electric Metalized) Lamp, but not until 1905 after all the lamp litigation had well been finalized. The mass produced GEM is made of 2 single hairpin filaments (like Lamp #22) but superheated during manufacturing. The process took advantage of graphite content (like Lamp #21). The two lamps are grouped next to each other in sequence in the collection box, the older is #21 and the newer (GEM prototype) is #22. It is necessary to make a very careful reading of the entire body of lamp infringement trials from September 23, 1880 to at least of November 4, 1894 before all the judicial facts found in the Edison Trial Evidence Collection can be understood relative to the collection. And to understand the significance of Lamp #21 and Lamp # 22 it is necessary to read beyond that date all the way to the introduction of the GEM in 1905. Anything less may likely lead to misinformation, as what has occurred here. (Source excerpts: http://home.frognet.net/~ejcov/hgoebel.html by Ed Covington.)

(Statement #17)
- ?Read his write-up - he only mentions that the 7 tar putty bulbs were made for use as evidence in the trial (he doesn't even say that they were used as evidence although most probably were).?

(Answer #17)
- Here, the wording might be construed as being twisted;? The wording of the Note Of Provenance in Howell's hand clearly represents the authenticity of the Tar-putty lamps. A careful examination of the Note reveals what John W. Howell wrote (quote), ?These lamps were made by J.W. Howell in 1890 for Exhibits in the patent suit.?

The catalogue indicates the collection has ?court squares.? This is true. The paper labels on the lamps are typical quartered court squares. There are also other court exhibit references on a number of the lamps which are paper labels and string tags. There is an additional 24 court squares. One found on each waxed card stock compartment in the box. The squares with numbers still visible each match court records.

Otherwise, the collection appears under advertised because of the fact that the other judicial proceedings in which some of these lamps appeared have not been fully exploited. Therefore, the collection is not over hyped. The Edison Trial Evidence collection is no doubt the most important collection to surface in a century with confirmed provenance on every lamp. They are all part of a collection that has significant judicial importance and one that has extraordinary historic importance. The Howell note confirms their authenticity.
I would be delighted to show anyone this breathtaking lot at King Street, prior to the sale.

I hope and trust that the above answers all questions posed, although there are a great deal more lines of proof and evidence that I can provide in addition, as it took nearly 5 months to catalogue.

I would like to thank the previous poster for providing an opportunity where I can present this well respected website forum this proof and I would also like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy Christmas and an illuminating new year - I might even have some more early light bulbs in my next sale, so please continue to watch our website.

With kindest regards,

Laurence Fisher
International Specialist and Head of Department, Mechanical Music, Technical and Electrical Apparatus
CHRISTIE'S,? London

Offline Chip Crider

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 06:48:53 pm »
Misleading information?  I don't see one of my opiinions that should be changed based on Laurence's post.  He presented no new evidence.  The owner of 2 of the Edison effect lamps has allowed me to reveal his identity and post 2 photos.  Both are copyright 2006 by Jim Kreuzer trading as New Wireless Pioneers in case the watermarks don't show up in your photo reader.  He has told me that he has the provenance from the museum from whence they came.  I have no reason to doubt him as he told me all of this about 5 years ago and his story hasn't changed.
I commented that there must be more Edison effect lamps around.  Laurence confirmed that by saying that he had handled several in the past.  So with what he's seen and what I've seen that's 5 already.  That is without checking with Henry Ford, West Orange, Smithsonian and of course the British Museum.  That is also without checking tube collectors and hundreds of radio museums. 

Now look at these 2 lamps.  Are they later of earlier?  They are clearly from the same era. They sure look a lot more experimental that the auction lamp which has a base on it.  That white sleeving on the leadwires of these 2 lamps was in common use back then; I've seen it in Thomson Rice and other meters from the 1880's.  Why would you put a base on an experimental lamp?   As I recall, Edison ended up trying to use the Edison effect for some kind of meter.
The only way to possibly tell is to examine the Edison notebooks from the time period (if it is not one of the missing ones) and I don't have time to do that now.

Now Laurence, please tell me where in the Edison EL co. vs USEL co. appeal the Edison effect tube was presented as evidence or where in one of the underlying related cases it was used.

Offline Chip Crider

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 01:18:32 am »
The nice thing about opinions is that everyone is entitled to one.  You can look at the evidence proffered, determine if you think it is accurate and whether or not it is taken out of context, and draw your own conclusions.  I present the following for you to do just that:

On page 3460 of the transcript Howell's statement #1, a list of the 26 numbered bulbs, is introduced as evidence. That statement is shown at page 4395.  You will note that the numbers are not in order at the end and that #7 is not used.  He also states that the numbers on the bulbs are the same as on the list.
On page 3505 Charles Deshler states that he life tested bulbs 2,3,5,9,13,14, and 15 and that his work order #4454 was placed upon them.  Howell testified elsewhere that the same numbered bulbs were the ones that were tested.  No lamp #7 was mentioned anywhere.  In the auction, the lamp which is claimed to bear a "courtroom square" #7 also has a label bearing the number #4454 and that is the only one.  Lamps in the auction bearing "courtroom square" labels 2,3 & 5 do not bear another label with #4454.   Why - in my opinion the "courtroom square" labels were not evidence labels used in this court proceeding.  They were labels pasted on later by someone, probably Howell, when he catalogued his collection.  So this shows that the claimed "courtroom square" labels had nothing to do with the courtroom in this case.  Were the tar putty lamps used in any later court cases?  I'd like to see evidence that they were.  It is my understanding that the court cases from the time of decision of the USEL case until the patent ran out several years later all had to do with enforcement of the USEL decision rather than priority of invention.

Now to the box - on page 3461 the tar putty box is placed into evidence.  The transcript says it was MARKED "Complaintant's Exhibit Howell's Tar Putty Lamps".  It also states that it contained 26 lamps.  The box in the auction has only 24 compartments, is not marked complaintant's exhibit as above, and the dividers are labeled.  Laurence implies that only some of the numbers are visible.  It would sure be interesting to get a list of them and their position in the box.  Remember, Howell's lamps were numbered from 1 through 31 with some numbers missing.   So if this really was the evidence box from the trial then one or more of the following must be true: a. the box was repartitioned, b. the marking on the box as described in the transcript was removed and c. the partitions were possibly (or not)  renumbered.

Were any of the non tar putty lamps in this collection used as evidence in trials?  My guess is that probably some were.  Were they used as evidence in the previous trials that led to this landmark case (it was an appeal if you didn't know)?  Maybe a couple were and maybe not.  I'd have to see transcripts of these other cases to tell. 

I'l looking forward to clarification, even if the auction has ended.

Offline Chip Crider

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 01:21:54 am »
here's the last one

Offline Bill Anderson

• http://www.earlytech.org
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 11:51:47 am »
Crider v. Christies? :-o

Chip, thanks for your excellent analysis and photos. What a great set of landmark documentation -- awesome find.

Your debate has the making of great intrigue! Seriously, the results of this auction should establish a material benchmark for the value of rare bulbs. If anyone knows the results before Christies posts them tomorrow, please let us know.

Offline Bill Anderson

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 01:15:22 pm »
News flash -- the Edison lot did not sell!

It must have not met the reserve -- with an estimate of 200,000 to 400,000 pounds the reserve may have been 100,000 pounds which itself would be outrageous. Just a guess.

Chip, you may have given some bidders second thoughts.? ?:evil:

Offline Tim

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 01:37:41 pm »
News flash -- the Edison lot did not sell!

Bill, where are you seeing this?? I've been watching the Christies auction results page today but it doesn't reflect the Dec.13th sale yet.? Do you know the amount the auction was bid up to, I presume much less than 100,000 pounds?

Thanks for the news flash!

Offline Bill Anderson

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 03:29:48 pm »
Tim, I called Christies telephone results line which makes results available real time. Interestingly, the Einstein letter went for 344,000 pounds (with premium). I e-mailed Christies to try and find out the maximum bid. Given the press exposure, there should an article or two in a day. If I find anything in the meantime, I will post it. Regards

Offline Bill Anderson

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 08:08:02 pm »
LONDON (Reuters) - A box containing 23 light bulbs used in court in 1890 by Thomas Edison to defend his patent for the invention failed to sell at auction on Wednesday.

The case, complete with its original key, was discovered by chance in 2002 in the attic of a private home in the United States and Christie's auction house in London had expected it to fetch 200-300,000 pounds ($400-600,000).

According to a Web site devoted to the U.S. inventor and businessman, the case between Edison Electric Light Company and United States Electric Light Company was one of the world's most important technology infringement cases.

The battle over who would profit from lamps that had been developed by a number of scientists lasted several years and was settled only when John Howell, Edison's key witness, produced the box of light bulbs on July 8, 1890 to seal legal victory.

Soon afterwards financier J.P. Morgan helped arrange a merger between Edison's holdings and a rival firm to form the conglomerate the General Electric Company.

Also on offer in the Landmarks of Science auction was Albert Einstein's first scientific essay entitled "On the investigation of the state of ether in a magnetic field", which fetched 344,000 pounds, within its expected range of 300-500,000 pounds.

Overall the sale made 1.35 million pounds, Christie's said.

Offline Tim

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 08:31:39 pm »