Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Got an interesting package today...  (Read 11023 times)

Offline Zelandeth

• Cold Philips SOX 35W
    • Zel's Lair - an assorted grab bag of lighting information, automotive mayhem, and anything else I remember to upload
Got an interesting package today...
« on: September 28, 2005, 06:52:50 pm »

I knew the moment I saw it, and where it had been posted from what it was (well...what it was relating to anyway!).

Inside the box (one I worked out how to get the packing out that was), I found a brand new Philips Master QL 85W lamp, and a HF driver to go with it, all mounted on a rather beefy base.? Wohoo!

I've put its initial webpage up, this can be accessed by clicking the thumbnail below.  Needless to say there'll be a lot more to go up in the notes box soon - just wanted to get the page up so I could share this with you guys as soon as possible.  Gotta show off the new toy haven't I?

So, how many of you've got induction lamps in your collections then?? I'm glad to have finally got hold of one, has filled a gap in the collection - especially important as this is a technology I reckon we'll be seeing a lot more of in coming years.

Offline Chris W. Millinship

Re: Got an interesting package today...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 01:27:13 pm »
You lucky.... :jealous:

Seriously. *Where* on earth did you find one of those? I`ve been looking for one to show up for sale for ages but because the damn things cost so much and last so long, seems they`re hard to find even 2nd hand. I managed to find a GE Genura a few years ago, but the Philips PL still evades me.

Nice find! Just take care not to run it with the globe removed else it`ll probably mess up your computer and that of your neighbor`s too :D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 02:09:10 pm by Chris W. Millinship »

Offline Zelandeth

• Cold Philips SOX 35W
    • Zel's Lair - an assorted grab bag of lighting information, automotive mayhem, and anything else I remember to upload
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 05:08:18 pm »
Where'd I find it?

Classic, classic case of being in the right place at the right time.

When I attended Offshore Europe (which is a big event attended by engineering companies from the world over in Aberdeen), I was lucky enough to spot the stand of IMT Lighting .  I had a chat with the folks there (C'mon, who'd NOT going to take the opportunity to talk about induction lighting?), and mentioned that I had a website and collected lamps.  Also mentioned that events like that are great, because it gives you a chance to actually speak to people in the industry - rather than randomly sending people email and never getting a response.  He gave me their website address, and I was asked to send an email them if any subject area was of interest.  A week or so later, I was told that "some materials" would be with me by the end of the month...I was expecting a few promotianal leaflets, maybe a couple of datasheets or something!

...then that box arrived!  ...and I sent an email back to them saying thank you more times than should be theoretically possible.

As a matter of interest, what is that unit actually worth?  This really isn't an area of technology I've ever done any looking into - because I figured it was something I'd never be getting a chance to play with...er...test first hand...yeah...that's what I meant.

The unit itself's really rather impressive.  Majorly bright (A fair amount brighter than an 85W Spiral CFL I have).

Now, I'm not about to go try it (curious though) - but what would the likely effect of operating the unit with the lamp removed be?  2.65MHz...what kind of effect would that have on things?

Offline Chris W. Millinship

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 06:49:25 am »
Definately lucky! I`m afraid I don`t have a lot of information about these, since I just don`t seem to have time to research much of anything. Figures that come to mind are several hundred ???s per complete kit, could even be more but I would be surprised if it was much less, given the fact that I have only seen these out in the wild one or twice. Of course it may be that they *are* everywhere, just out of sight and otherwise not obvious as to what the light source is. The longevity does make them perfect for locations where access would be difficult. I suppose you know already, the dials of the Big Ben clock tower down in That London are illuminated with QL lamps.

What happens with the globe removed? Well again, I`m not sure. But 85 watts worth of RF energy could mess up all sorts of digital electronic equipment in close proximity. Of course, being a product of a high quality manufacturer it probably has some sort of interlock that cuts the power off if the globe is not correctly fitted. Otherwise, for example if the globe came detached from one of these in a public place, it might neutralise all mobile phones within several hundred feet radius if the power stayed on.

Which in some places is not necessarilly a bad thing....HELLO???....I`M ON THE TRAIN!!!!.....  :wink:

Offline mr_big

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 07:36:45 am »
If you need any other help with Philips date codes lemme know because I have never seen one like that with the 0 before the last digit not sure what it is
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 07:53:00 am by mr_big »