Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: New member, I am impressed  (Read 7386 times)

Offline Elways Grammie

• New Member!
New member, I am impressed
« on: October 24, 2009, 12:29:28 pm »
My name is Gail.  I am so impressed by the beautiful bulbs I saw on your website. Recently, while cleaning out a closet, I found a box with some antique bulbs. My late husband was an electrician and found these during a remodeling job in the early 1970's. He was an apprentice back then and had the good sense to hold on to them.  While I am not surpirsed that there are bulb collectors, (I belong to "We Actually Collect Electric Mixers") what impressed me is how many bulbs have survived a 100 years.  The figural bulbs are amazing.  I have a tulip, but it's seen better days.  I also have 3 coiled tungsten (circa 1915?).  Perhaps I will post pictures in the future and might consider finding a new home for them among  you collectors.  In our disposable world, its wonderful to see there are still people who appreciate and want to preserve those innovations from long ago.  While today's energy saving bulbs are necessary, those old bulbs/tube certainly have character.

Also, I read about a man in England who has stock piled several thousand incandescent bulbs since they will be banned soon and he doesn't like flourescent.  How extreme. Regards, Elway's Grammie
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:09:39 pm by Elways Grammie »

Offline Chris Kocsis

Re: New member, I am impressed
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 01:53:25 pm »
Hi Gail, welcome to a congenial group of bulb nuts.  I couldn't help but search for the mixer collector group and was delighted to find WACEM on Yahoo.  I joined immediately and have been rolling on the floor over the "make your own mixer contest" photos.  As a student just out of college in 1971 I bought an old mixer at the Salvation Army and used it for many years, until I got married and we bought a KitchenAid.  It was a thoroughly reliable machine (sadly don't remember which make or model now, but I still see them here and there) and I can understand the passion WACEM members bring to their niche in the collecting world.  There are many fewer mixers than light bulbs, which I'm sure is a good thing space-wise.  I read about a collector in Wisconsin who has 500 washing machines.  Talk about floor space.

If you post some pictures of your bulbs I'm sure someone will tell you a little bit about them. 

Best regards,

Chris