Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: FWD: Canadian Collectors?  (Read 19867 times)

Offline ricksbulbs

• New Member!
FWD: Canadian Collectors?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2003, 10:14:00 pm »
Hi, guys! I bought the 10,000 watt Mazda most ecently listed on the bay for a BUY IT NOW of 250 bux! My username is louionthepickleboat--it's my sisters' ebay account I simply share with her! I'm Rick "C-6" Delair, and some of you may already know me. I have a yehoo group, oldelectriclightbulbs@yahoogroups.com and another one, rixsilverlinersnsuch@yahoogroups.com for streetlight talk. This stunning MAZDA is another addition to my very large and growing collection, and I'm working on an actual light bulb museum as I write this! It
ll be housed in a surplus 45'x8.5' house type trailer--actually fitted out originally for concession use. It'll be a stunning display, and will do away with the term "trailer trash"----nothing in THIS trailer is trash! I've been collecting bulbs for many years! And if you see louieonthepickleboat bidding, stay away (just kidding!)! I bought a wonderful NOS Mather-Perkins socket for my NOS Sawyer-Man 1884 bulb from the Mount Vernon Museum, (bulbmogul) and it's also stunning! I always wanted a 10,000 watt bulb, but never dreamed I'd own an early version! WOWEEEE!!!!! Anyway, later! Rick C-6!

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2003, 09:32:00 am »
Anyone have a picture of this one?  It's been pulled on the listing....

Welcome to the bulb forums Rick!

quote:
Originally posted by Yoshi:
Hi! Here's another 10,000w bulb listed at the moment on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3231004103&category=371

-Yoshi

------------------
Tim
Kilokat's Antique Light Bulb Site
Mountain Dew Collectibles, Volume I

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2003, 04:14:00 am »

Well, I had the chance to buy the 10,000 watt bulb too. I even had the chance to bid exactly $50 (the minimum bid) so that the Buy-It-Now would disappear, but I decided not to do so... I don't buy bulbs for that much anyway. I rarely pay more than $35 for a single bulb. I have paid $35 or more for like, 2-3 bulbs from my collection (out of hundreds). I don't have enough money to spend that much on bulbs either.

I have all 5 pics of the 10,000w bulb, here's one:

-Yoshi

How do I add custom avatars? The feature doesn't seem to be working

Offline Ross

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2003, 09:22:00 am »
Fascinating pictures of these monster 50,000 and 75,000 Watt bulbs.  Just out of interest, what voltage were they designed to run on ?   Did they have any real application, other than commemorative "specials" - were they ever illuminated ?

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2003, 10:09:00 pm »
An excerpt from "The Tungsten Filament Lamp" by W.E. Forsythe and E.Q. Adams, 1937 (before the 75-kw lamp existed)

"A few years ago a 2000- or a 2500-watt incandescent lamp seemed large; but now, as the result of developmental work, 10,000-watt lamps are manufactured and are regularly used in the motion-picture industry, airport lighting, and in some other places where high intensity illumination is desired.  To date, the largest incandescent unit that has been attempted is the 120-volt 50,000-watt lamp, which only a few have been made, for special illumination and display.  These have operated successfully and the strength of the various parts has allowed the lamps to be shipped from coast to coast without any breakage; thus, it has been demonstrated that a successful 50-kw lamp can be made if necessary."

Other stated facts of interest:

10-kw lamp when operated at 120 volts produced 280,000 lumens with a max. candlepower of 33,000, 29 lumens per watt.

50-kw lamp when operated at 120 volts produced 1,400,000 lumens with a max. candlepower of 166,000, 29 lumens per watt

The 50-kw lamp weighed over 35 pounds and was made of Pyrex and had a life span of only 100 hours.

------------------
Tim
Kilokat's Antique Light Bulb Site
Mountain Dew Collectibles, Volume I