Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Automotive lamps: what kind of base?  (Read 10563 times)

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Automotive lamps: what kind of base?
« on: February 27, 2005, 11:35:13 am »
Can anyone tell me what the proper nomenclature or designation is for the type of base shown on the lamp below?  It’s a bayonet type with three protruding pins and the shell diameter measures about 21.5mm large.  This is a 12v automotive lamp and made in France.  Was this base used outside of France?  Any comments appreciated.

Offline Mónico González

• Philips HP-80w Mercury Lamp
    • Mis Bombillas, peque?o museo virtual de la l?mpara el?ctrica.
Re: Automotive lamps: what kind of base?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 08:09:50 pm »
This base was commonly known as "Marchal", and as you properly says it comes from France.
These bases were very common in many European countries up to mid 60's, but in the three contact version, where the brass sleeve was connected to the common lead-in wire of two filament system. The tin contacts fitted on the vitrite insulator were connected to each individual filament for long and short range light respectively.
Most french cars manufactured until mid 60's, as Citroen, Renault, Peugeot, etc. were fitted with such based lamps.
A french car (also manufactured here) that was very popular here in Spain, the "Citroen 2CV", used these lamps until the arriving of "European Unified Base System", mainly in 6 volt version.
But not only was used for cars, but for trucks too.
Here are a curious sample from my collection, a Spanish made "Wagner" 24 volts, 45/45 watts? rated lamp that has a very unusual bi-colour bulb (yellow and clear) for truck use, that are fitted with the "Marchal" three contact base too.
Because the point of view, at the picture cannot be well seen the two contact structure at the base of the cap, however this is a genuine three contact Marchal.
Also, I have a huge couple of another "Marchal" lamps too, because my father was a car electrician, and he let me to play with them when I was a child, so I preserved lots of them that he has as a surplus.
Many years ago, in Europe were also used another base types, as the German "Bosch" bayonet, in wich only was two plane and rectangular shaped pins, unequally sized to avoid any assembling mistake.
However, the three contact Marchal cap is equivalent to B22d British three pins base used for discharge lamps instead the regular two prongs version found on incandescent ones.
When I will get my website online again, I will include a new section specially dedicated to these automotive "gems".

Best regards.
M. Gonz?lez.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 08:23:01 pm by M?nico Gonz?lez »

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 04:42:00 pm »
Interesting looking Wagner lamp!

I have heard of "Marchal" before in reference to automobile headlamps but I never made the connection.? I am familiar with the Bosch bases that you mention and I have a British lamp fitted with that base shown here.

Thanks for the information!

Offline Mónico González

• Philips HP-80w Mercury Lamp
    • Mis Bombillas, peque?o museo virtual de la l?mpara el?ctrica.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 02:23:07 pm »
Hi Tim.
Here are a better picture for you of my Wagner's Marchal base.
Look at the deep blue coloration of its vitrite insulator.
Regards,
M. Gonz?lez.