Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Ballast Lamp  (Read 7273 times)

Offline debook

• 1930's Neon Rabbit by Crescent Moon (UK)
    • debook.com
Ballast Lamp
« on: June 20, 2004, 06:25:00 pm »
I am starting to sell another batch from my collection and left a couple of questions amongst them.

One is an Osram strip light that has a fine wire running along the back of the glass support, why?

Another is a Marconi Ballast ?lamp? why were these made in bulb form?

I will add the feedback to my site when I get these up there.

To see the auctions just see my me page at http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=ysartglass&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

Always happy for feedback if I get the listings wrong as I am not as hot on the technical side as some of you guys.
Frank Andrews

Offline Mónico González

• Philips HP-80w Mercury Lamp
    • Mis Bombillas, peque?o museo virtual de la l?mpara el?ctrica.
Ballast Lamp
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 01:19:00 pm »
Hi debook!
I'm guessing that perhaps...
The wire running along (or into?) the glass rod, seems to be a continuity element for the case in which the whole structure was fitted into an one-side based bulb.
As you knows, tubular lamps are made not only in the "sofito" or "sofitten" way with two caps at each end, but with Edison cap one-side ended. In such cases, the "distant" end of the filament could be connected by means of a fine wire that runs through the glass rod, allowing the use of the same type of structure for both lamp styles, simplifying the manufacturing jobs.
About bulb-style ballast lamps, they were very common in various applications, such as fluorescent tubes ballasting (using the "trash" radiated light as in blended lamps to increase the total emitted flux), in radio receivers among the other tubes, in battery chargers and rectifiers as absorption resistances...
In any cases, it's easier and safer to have the resistive elements enclosed into a glass envelope, so for many applications, these were manufactured in bulb way instead open-air resistive wires.
Also, the bulb can be filled with inert gases that allows the heat conduction and convection instead the air that could oxidize and deteriorate the constitutive metals of the elements.
If you remember, in Nernst lamps the ballasting and regulation of the current through the ceramic luminous rods was done by means of iron resistive wires into a glass envelope filled with an hydrogen atmosphere.
The same principle was employed in some universal (AC/DC) radio receivers to regulate the inrush and regime power, by means of the well known "Amperite" or "Ferro-hydrogen" regulator tubes.
Best regards,
M. Gonz?lez.
 http://mis-bombillas.webcindario.com

[This message has been edited by M?nico Gonz?lez (edited June 21, 2004).]

Offline Ray Ladegast

Ballast Lamp
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 09:56:00 pm »
Hi Debook
   I had an old clothes dryer that used a ballast bulb in series with an ozone lamp. The ballast bulb looked like a standart 40 watt appliance bulb. It said "Ballast Use only in Proper Equipmen" on the top. The ozone lamp was a round S11 bulb with an intermediate base. The ozone lamp was used to freshen the smell of the clothes in the dryer.