Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Inventory  (Read 16542 times)

Offline dean

Inventory
« on: May 06, 2001, 11:45:00 am »
I am in the process of putting together an inventory catalogue of my lamp collection. Any feedback as to how other collectors keep track of their collection would be most useful. White tags around the lamp base with a reference number seems to be the most efficient. Any other thoughts? Thank-You.
dean

Offline James

• www.lamptech.co.uk
Inventory
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2001, 01:59:00 pm »
Hi Dean,

Some years ago I catalogued a couple of large collections of historic lamps with a friend.  We developed a totally comprehensive system which we also use on our own lamps.  We assigned each of them a unique reference number and built up a spreadsheet in MS Excel to put all details alongside each lamp.

We have several different letters to start off the reference code which splits the lamps into the main categories.  Within each category, lamps are then numbered sequentially.  We chose classification letters as follows:
C = Carbon
T = Tantalum
N = Nernst
WS = Sintered Tungsten (incl. Osmium lamps)
 WD = Drawn tungsten (cage types)
WC = Coiled tungsten
WH = Tungsten halogen
WM = Miniature tungsten
WP = Photo/Projection (incl. Halogen types)
MA = Medium pressure mercury
MB = Modern high pressure mercury
MC = Fluorescent tubes
MH = Metal Halide
MS = Special Mercury types
SL = Low pressure sodium
SH = High pressure sodium
NE = Neon discharge
AR = Argon discharge
XE = Xenon discharge
TH = Terminals & Holders
XL = Xmas Lamps
XS = Xmas lamp sets

So a typical lamp ref. might be C257 or WD63. We wrote these codes on the lamp glass just above the base, using a fine black permanent marker pen.  In the spreadsheet, for each column alongside the lamp reference code we entered details of:

Brand Name
Description
Lamp Wattage (or Candlepower / Amps)
Lamp Voltage
Bulb Finish / Colour
Bulb type (e.g. A-19, R-50)
Base type (e.g. E26s, B22d)
Filament style (e.g. CC-8, C-7A)
Atmosphere (vac/GF etc)
Date of Manufacture
Factory
Condition
Original carton (Yes/No)
Location (code for which cabinet, shelf & holder it is kept in)

The lamp number was written on the glass just above the base, using either a fine black permanent marker or one of those pens where you can see the ink only under UV light.  At a later date we tried to go back and produce a more detailed catalogue - we created a single sheet for each bulb consisting of its reference number, name, a digital photograph, descriptive text, and a table of the things in the main spreadsheet plus other things like dimensions.

Let me know if you're interested and I can email you one of our spreadsheets (MS Excel or .PDF) and one of the individual pages (MS Word or .PDF) which you might find useful as a template for your own.  Or if you'd like details of the international standard terms for bulb shapes, base types and filament styles etc just let me know.

Hope this helps!

James.

[This message has been edited by James (edited May 06, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by James (edited May 06, 2001).]

Offline dean

Inventory
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2001, 02:25:00 pm »
What a comprehensive response. I am very grateful. I look forward to an Email containing the template and international lamp catagories. Thank you very much. Dean
dean

Offline Chris W. Millinship

Inventory
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2001, 06:55:00 pm »
Hey James- that`s a great load of info there, it`ll come in handy here for me too this summer when I start sorting through the near-enough 2000 lamps and christmas lights I have all stored away here. The sheer number of them is the only factor stopping me doing it sooner- anyone know of a wholesale source for little white tags on strings.....?

[This message has been edited by Chris Millinship (edited May 06, 2001).]

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
Inventory
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2001, 10:01:00 pm »
Chris,

Staples (a large office supply chain store here in the US) sells them 1000 for $26 USD. According to their web site, Staples also has stores in the UK. I'm sure any large office supply outlet could hook you up.

2K bulbs? That sounds like a winter project to me!

------------------
-Tim
BulbCollector.com
DewCollector.com

Offline Chris W. Millinship

Inventory
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2001, 08:07:00 am »
2K bulbs? That sounds like a winter project to me!

Well it`s just a guess but I reckon there`s that many, counting in boxed xmas sets and all the modern/vintage bulbs too.
I tend to hide indoors in the summer- never liked the hot weather- and I get a load of time off then anyway. Winter time I`m too busy planning my christmas display!!

------------------
-chris
electriclights.tripod.com

Offline Tim

• Administrator
Inventory
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2001, 09:32:00 pm »
.....just came across this program that might be of interest for tracking collections:
 http://collectibles-software.com/

There are probably dozens of other similar programs floating around too....

------------------
-Tim
BulbCollector.com
DewCollector.com

Offline Bob Masters

Inventory
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2001, 10:37:00 am »
Hey Tim !
I just checked that collector software out a bit. That's really pretty cool. Ha Ha Ha.....I'm not so sure sometimes if I really want to know all of the silly things I have purchased through the years !
Honestly though, it is cool software.

Offline dean

Inventory
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2001, 08:34:00 pm »
Thanks Tim, great software. Another topic- what is the generally accepted opinion concerning the cleaning of antique lamps. Any interesting stories or advice? See new thread.....
dean

Offline Bob Masters

Inventory
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2001, 12:42:00 pm »
I'm gonna buy that collecting software and give it a whirl ! I'll report back on it after I have it installed and I'm using it !

Offline Tim

• Administrator
Inventory
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2001, 12:00:00 pm »
Ok, so has anyone tested any of this collector software?  Sounds like a good upcoming winter project for me and I'd like to hear from others who have taken on the challenge of recording their collection.

James, could you email me your Excel template that you used?

TIA,

------------------
-Tim
BulbCollector.com
DewCollector.com

Offline Bob Masters

Inventory
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2001, 12:44:00 pm »
Hey Tim,
Thanks for reminding me. I'd forgotten all about this software. I'm going to order it as soon as I get home. I was digging around yesterday in the storage building and was simply amazed at all of the items I've simply forgotten that I even had !

-Bob-

Offline Bob Masters

Inventory
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2001, 07:40:00 pm »
WHOA !

I started poking around doing some comparison shopping before buying anything.

That Collction Software above sells for approx. $17. Well....I found this other software ($99) and downloaded it on a trial basis. It looks scary so-far, not very user-friendly for a first-timer, but it's absolutely feature-packed ! There is no "Demo" mode to step me through it so I have to learn my way along. I write my observations as I learn more...........

Happy Bulbing  :-)
-Bolb-

Offline Tim

• Administrator
Inventory
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2001, 10:11:00 pm »
Hey Bob, what's the name of the $99 software - do you have a link?  I'd like to check it out.

------------------
-Tim
BulbCollector.com
DewCollector.com

Offline Tluce

Inventory
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2001, 10:35:00 am »
Hey Bob, I know what you mean about rediscovering things.  I was cleaning up my garage a few weeks ago and couldn't believe the treasures(junk)that I've accumulated through the years.  I collect not only light bulbs but old electrical curiosities too.  The bad part is I don't remember where I got most of it or how much I paid for it.  I don't know if inventoring it would work in my case.  I just repacked things a little neater and stuffed it back where it was.  I like to think of it as a time capsul waiting for the next time I rediscover it.  Please let us all know how the inventory software works  out.  Later, Tim