Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: eBay's new auction layout  (Read 12701 times)

Offline Yoshi

eBay's new auction layout
« on: July 12, 2003, 10:36:00 pm »
I guess the testing forum is the general board after all?

What do you think about eBay's new design for auction listings? I think it is largely inferior to the old one.

The new design has a lot more purple color in it, which makes it look girlish; I would prefer a neutral color such as gray for example.

To me, the new design is merely an annoyance, something that I will "have to get used to". I can't believe they did this! The old one was GREAT!!

Does anyone agree with me? Please reply if you do...

-Yoshi

« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 01:09:29 am by tim »
How do I add custom avatars? The feature doesn't seem to be working

Offline Chris W. Millinship

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2003, 07:58:00 am »
I agree. Don`t care too much about the colour (if you`ve seen the Torch Reviews Site you`ll know I have some rather, er, un ique colour preferences!) but I just wish they`d left it as-is. I don`t know where everything is any more. It was fine as it was, now it`s trying to look like all the other auction sites out there. for the one that really started it all, that`s a bad thing.

Leave things alone Ebay! Quit fiddling. Messing up the search system was bad enough, adding blinking flashing ad-banners to every page is seriously annoying, fiddling the My-page was confusing, now you`ve confused the listing pages too. Quit it, won`t you?!

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2003, 08:00:00 am »
BTW my understanding of the Test board is just a place for mewbies to try out the different settings, or if you want to do something adventurous with HTML and don`t know if it`ll work here or not. This place doesn`t have a designated off-topic forum.

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2003, 09:19:00 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Millinship:
BTW my understanding of the Test board is just a place for mewbies to try out the different settings, or if you want to do something adventurous with HTML and don`t know if it`ll work here or not. This place doesn`t have a designated off-topic forum.

Chris is right.  If this forum can support an off-topic board then cast your vote by replying right here and letting me know and I will set one up!

------------------
Tim
Kilokat's Antique Light Bulb Site
Mountain Dew Collectibles, Volume I

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2003, 02:35:00 pm »
I think it`d be quite nice to have an off-topic area, but am not so sure if anything much would happen there given the quiet nature of this corner of the Web. It might help to encourage a little community spirit though, get to know each other, etc, and perhaps the bulb-related stuff would perk up as a result....?

One thing I might suggest if it does happen - please don`t allow discussion of religion or politics. Those are the two hottest topics that are guaranteed to upset some people, or at least start arguments and flaming. That would not be nice here - it`s been on the whole friendly and laid back to date (with one exception that long term members will know about)! There are plenty of other places on the Net to talk, rant and argue blue in the face about those if one so desires.

But a forum where anything else goes, would be quite nice I think.

Offline Alan Franzman

• Nixie Tube Addict
  • Email a.j.franzman [A T] verizon [D O T] net
    • Nixie Tube Cross-Reference
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2003, 07:54:00 pm »
I'm not sure I agree completely here.

Although it will take a while to get used to the new layout, I find that it does work better on my system. I have an unusual configuration: LCD monitor at native 1280 x 1024 resolution, but with fonts sized to 150%.

A great many web pages viewed this way take up only slightly more than half of the left side of the screen, with the right usually being a big blank white space. Also, many websites (including Microsoft's) use absolute positioning of text elements which is known to be a Bad Thing for exactly this reason: people who deliberately enlarge their displayed text will find absolutely-positioned text to overlap other text or elements, and even worse, in some cases overflow the bottom of frames or divisions which are set as mandatorily lacking scrollbars - sometimes rendering that part of the text totally unviewable.

As Ebay is now, only the top navigation section fails to take advantage of the available width on my screen. Everything else fills the available space and is legibly laid out.

I'm pleased to report that this forum and the rest of the bulbcollector.com site (with the exception of the imagefolio sections)also work very well in this respect.

------------------

Alan "A.J." Franzman

Email: a.j.franzman at verizon dot net

------------------
A.J.

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2003, 12:57:00 am »
Hi, wow that's a lot of replies!   I do suggest creating a "general" board. It would promote posting, although not that much since almost all of the interest of this site is related to bulbs, and there's already a forum for that. Another choice would be to rename the testing forum to "Testing/General Forum".

I use a resolution of 1024x768 on a 17" monitor. With the new layout, the center of the top part of the listing is blank and the info is on the sides. With the old layout, all the info was in the center. I give eBay an F for the new design because everything looks worse. The absolute worst part of the new listing is the bottom. If the eBay web designers think that they made an improvement over the old auction listing bottom, they need to have their heads X-rayed for cavities.
How do I add custom avatars? The feature doesn't seem to be working