Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Are there any British bulb collectors?  (Read 15047 times)

Offline Chris W. Millinship

Are there any British bulb collectors?
« on: June 22, 2000, 07:28:00 am »
Hello!
I would like to know if there are any collectors of bulbs, old or new, in the UK.
If so I`d like to hear from you.
So far I`m the only person in the UK I know that collects bulbs!
Actually, I`m not that bothered where in the world you come from, its just nice to know there are others who share my interest. But I would have a better chance of buying bulbs from British people, I don`t know how well an antique would survive crossing the Atlantic!
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Chris.

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2000, 08:43:00 am »
Hi there,
           Yes there is some very serious collectors of Incandescent Lamps in the UK. I know of 3 that are very active in collecting and dont limit there collection to just British Bulbs. Do you have and Lane-Fox or early 1880 style Long Neck Swan Lamps.?

Offline Ed Covington

• http://www.frognet.net/~ejcov/
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2000, 11:10:00 am »
You might like to contact:James D. Hooker,Innovation Centre, University of Wales, Singleton Park, Swansea, SA2 8PP, Great Britain. email at james_hooker@hotmail.com. Also try -
R.G. Tye, 112 Pirbright Rd., London, SW18 5NA, England.

Offline Bob Masters

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2000, 08:18:00 pm »
Welome aboard Chris ! It's great to have a member from England ! Or should I say Great Britain ? which is right.......or.......are they both right ? I'm so confused ( Ha Ha Ha )
I have heard of others shipping bulbs overseas successfully!

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2000, 06:50:00 am »
Hello again!
Nice to hear from you all, but I`ll be leaving you soon for a while. You see, I`m not online at home so I use my college`s computer suites. But my term ends in a week leaving me webless until I sort things out!
Incidentally, Jerry- I don`t actually have any antique lamps yet. However, finding this site has inspired me to go looking for some and I can`t wait to start collecting them!
And, Bob, try "Wales" cos thats where I`m from, not England! Great Britian`s alright though.
Bye for now, hope I won`t be gone too long!
Chris

Offline James

• www.lamptech.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2000, 09:08:00 pm »
Hey Chris!  I am from Wales as well just down the M4 in Swansea so only an hour from you :-)  Also I am a student in Swansea uni, which college are you at?

Anyway send me an email on james.hooker@btinternet.com and maybe we can fix something up before you go home?

See ya soon,

James.

Offline Bob Smallbone

• New Member!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2000, 07:39:00 pm »
I OWN UPyes I'm another U.K. bulb collector,my son Lee rolling on floor Laughing. I thought he knew. He asks if I'm a failed train spotter. Shame how some people miss out on finer things in life. Imagine your life without this invention.    QDoes any one have a Jablokof Candle? I have just two and wonder how common they might be?

------------------
Bob
Bob

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2000, 11:07:00 pm »
I've gotten a couple bulbs from England-not antique ones-that got here just fine. And I've sent delicate things by mail to England that got there just fine.I have a hand painted "stained glass" bulb from a crafts shop in England that looks really cool in a dark room..

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2000, 11:37:00 pm »
Hello Bob and welcome to the group,

Does any one have a Jablokof Candle? I have just two and wonder how common they might be?

I'm not an expert on early arc lights but I think your Jablochkoff Candles are probably very desirable. I don't collect arc lights but this is one particular type I wouldn't mind having in my collection!

Take good care of them!

------------------
-Tim

[This message has been edited by tim (edited June 28, 2000).]

Offline Ed Covington

• http://www.frognet.net/~ejcov/
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2000, 08:31:00 am »
I do have a set of Jablochkoff candles, but not the lamp itself. The candles are mounted into a wooden framework and were presented to me in the late 50s or early 60s by an elderly Rushlighter. The candles have broken into several pieces and the framework holds them in place. Nice to have, regardless of their condition.

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2000, 07:57:00 pm »
Hello again!
Great to hear from more UK bulb collectors! I`m online at home now and will be checking in often so I look forward to hearing from even more of you! Plus I`m feeling more confident of buying bulbs from US residents and getting them here in one piece, thanks! Any offers of bulbs for sale greatly recieved!
-Chris

UPDATE Now I`m one of you! I have my first Antiques arriving soon-thanks Tim!  

[This message has been edited by Chris Millinship (edited July 11, 2000).]