Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Many older types of flourescent being withdrawn.  (Read 10570 times)

Offline adam2

Many older types of flourescent being withdrawn.
« on: June 15, 2011, 03:57:00 am »
The restrictions on the sale of certain incandescent lamp are well known and disscussed elswhere in these forums.

What is less well known is that many older types of flourescent lamp are being withdrawn.
In some cases manufacture or import is being prohibited, in other cases declining demand makes continued production un viable.

Included, AFAIK are the following
All 8 foot lamps.
All  common T12 lamps.
All common halophosphate lamps.
All older style circular flourescents
All BC flourescents.
Production of many of the above has already ceased, though they are still available from some stockists.

For the general lighting of modern premises, I would urge the use of modern high efficiency lamps.
Those who wish to keep old fittings in working order, for a vintage look, might be advised to obtain stocks of spare lamps.

Offline KT66

Re: Many older types of flourescent being withdrawn.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 11:22:54 pm »
That is good information to know. On the 8 foot lamps, is it the single pin as well as the double pin lamps that have gone? I still have a couple in my garage.

Offline adam2

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 09:54:27 am »
I believe that both bi-pin and single pin lamps are banned.
There is no regulation that says in so many words "you must not make 8 foot flourescent lamps"
The regulations set certain minimum efficiency standards, and no current type of 8 foot lamp meets these standards.
In theory, a higher efficiency 8 foot lamp and matching electronic ballast could be developed, but in practice no one is doing this since 8 foot lamps are a small and declining market.

Offline Yulelights76

• The Yule Lights Collection
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 10:02:40 pm »
You mention circular fluorescents are being phased out. Are you referring to the FC8T9 and FC12T9 circline bulbs? AKA 22 watt and 32 watt circline.
 I actually prefer conventional fluorescent lighting over CFL bulbs the light output is more consistent. With CFL, the bulbs start up dim and take 2 minutes to reach full brightness. Guess I'll have to stock up and hope my stash lasts as long as I do.

Offline adam2

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 09:40:48 am »
The older types of circular flourescent are being withdrawn.
Again, there is no regulation that says in so many words "you cant make or import circular flourescent lamps"
There are however new efficiency standards that have to be met. No commonly available old stlye cicular lamp meets these standards.
Circline lamps are in greater demand than 8 foot linear lamps, therefor it is possible that newer and more efficient lamps will be introduced.

Offline discord

• New Member!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 02:16:58 pm »
I was wondering this the other day. Are the T12's any less efficient than the T8's ? Are the T5's any more efficient than the T8's ?

Offline adam2

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 06:33:11 am »
In general, yes the thinner lamps are more efficient.
There are exceptions, but in most circumstances a T8 will be more efficient than a T12, and a T5 would be better still.
A 2 foot 20 watt lamp on switchstart control gear can normally be replaced by a 2 foot 18 watt T8 with no loss in light output, and about a 10% saving in electricity.
A 14 watt T5 would give a similar light to an 18 watt T8, but is not a drop in replacement. They are slightly shorter and need different control gear.

T5 lamps are rather temperature sensitive, a bit like compact flourescents, and can take a minute or more reach full light output especialy in cold conditions.