Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: Need help with this OSRAM light bulb...  (Read 10292 times)

Offline Faneco

• New Member!

Offline Faneco

• New Member!
Re: Need help with this OSRAM light bulb...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 07:48:21 pm »
Anyone, please?

Offline Tim

• Administrator
    • http://www.bulbcollector.com
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 09:21:47 pm »
The packaging looks modern but the design is old (drawn tungsten cage filament), so I'm a bit confused, not to mention the odd vacuum tube / valve-like 4-pin base.  Sorry, I don't have an answer on this one.  Maybe someone else will recognize it.  Interesting bulb though!

Offline Faneco

• New Member!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 04:53:56 am »
The packaging looks modern but the design is old (drawn tungsten cage filament), so I'm a bit confused, not to mention the odd vacuum tube / valve-like 4-pin base.  Sorry, I don't have an answer on this one.  Maybe someone else will recognize it.  Interesting bulb though!

Hello
Thank you for your reply.
The packging is the original of this bulb, as i have a good quantity of them and all have this kind of packaging.
About the bulb itself, don't know a thing about it.
Don't you have an ideia of where it would be used?
Thank you again for your help!!
Pedro

Offline Chris W. Millinship

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 05:23:46 pm »
Those are/were, as far as I recall, navigation light lamps for ships. The use of a straight cage filament was to give it more mechanical resistance against vibration in use - many more mechanical supports inside than a regular coiled type which provide better protection. The valve type base has connections to the filament in different sections either to allow dimming by switching more or less of the filament in and out, or possibly to allow operation on different voltages depending on operation of the ship. The HM Government franking suggests military operation - they`re probably from Navy ships. Unfortunately I`m struggling with the date code so can`t say when it was produced - doesn`t seem the usual Osram format unless I`m reading it wrong.

Hope my memory hasn`t failed (as it so often does!) and that this is of use.

Offline adam2

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 08:08:43 am »
Yes, probably intended for a ships navigation light.
The old style cage filament is not only vibration resistant, but also gives a consistent light output in all horizontal directions.
The large area of the filament would also give good results in an optical system designed for an oil flame.

Some navigation light bulbs have two filaments, or a tapping part way along the filament, and therefore need more than two connections.
This lamp would however seem to be a single filament type, from the data on the packaging.

I would expect something like "80 watt + 80 watt" or "80/80watt" on a twin filament lamp.

Navigation light bulbs are often of odd voltages and are worked from a standard supply voltage by means of a dropper resistance. A small pilot lamp placed on the bridge is connected across the dropper, and by lighting confirms correct operation of the navigation light.
This bulb was probably intended for a 220 volt or 230 volt circuit, with 5 volts or 15 volts across the dropper resistance.

Offline Faneco

• New Member!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 06:22:46 pm »
Hello again
Thank you so much for the help, Chris and Adam.
Any ideia on the specific name of the bulb? Or usage category?
Any ideia of their value? I have found like a big lot of them...
Thank you again.

Offline adam2

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 12:59:54 pm »
That type of lamp, rather than just the example that you have, is often known as a "cage filament navigation" lamp or bulb.

Value is rather unknown, if you have a number of them, try putting one on fleabay and see what happens ?

Offline Mónico González

• Philips HP-80w Mercury Lamp
    • Mis Bombillas, peque?o museo virtual de la l?mpara el?ctrica.
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 02:00:15 pm »
That lamp seems to be single filament because it has only two lead-in wires going in from stem; also is fitted with regular modern exaust tube in the downside of the globe through the stem. The purpose of have choosen a 4 pin radio tube socket? it remains in the darkness; maybe to avoid the unscrewing of the whole bulb due to ship vibrations if it were fitted with a regular Edison base, the same thing that is usually done in the lighting installations of railway vehicles, although for that purpose is better to use conventional bayonet sockets and caps.
Another possibility is that this type of cap were chosen to use the lamp itself as any kind of dropper or absorption resistance in some type of ship's apparatus like battery chargers. It's only a guess.
Pedro: where are you from? I would be interested in buying you one of these curious and a bit intriguing lamps to my own collection; please let me know.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 02:03:17 pm by Mónico González »

Offline Faneco

• New Member!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 02:58:39 pm »
That lamp seems to be single filament because it has only two lead-in wires going in from stem; also is fitted with regular modern exaust tube in the downside of the globe through the stem. The purpose of have choosen a 4 pin radio tube socket? it remains in the darkness; maybe to avoid the unscrewing of the whole bulb due to ship vibrations if it were fitted with a regular Edison base, the same thing that is usually done in the lighting installations of railway vehicles, although for that purpose is better to use conventional bayonet sockets and caps.
Another possibility is that this type of cap were chosen to use the lamp itself as any kind of dropper or absorption resistance in some type of ship's apparatus like battery chargers. It's only a guess.
Pedro: where are you from? I would be interested in buying you one of these curious and a bit intriguing lamps to my own collection; please let me know.

Mónico, hello.
I live in Portugal.
I am not sure if i can insert links from Ebay ie, but i have listed them on Ebay. Outside Ebay, we can work out things and values.
Here it is: https://www.ebay.com/itm/152809508525?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
Thank you all, again for your help and assistance.