Box art

museum pics

Dr. Hugh Hicks

Fort Myers, FL.
 S.Slabyhoudek

links

Related links
 Submit a link

Author Topic: 3rd Annual Bulb Meeting at the Portage Museum  (Read 8587 times)

Offline bering

3rd Annual Bulb Meeting at the Portage Museum
« on: September 24, 2001, 07:01:00 pm »
A huge success! We had a great get together at the Portage Museum of Incandesent Lighting in Elmore, Ohio this past weekend. Pictured below are some of the attendees who swapped stories and had the chance to see Jerry's awesome display of early electrical items. In addition, there was horse trading outside in the beautiful weather of some nice and rare bulbs including an Osmium and a Burnstein.

Pictured from left to right top row: Edward Covington, Glen Ammet, Dr. Huge Francis Hicks, Kirk Brinks, William Anderson - Front row kneeling: Dean Fabrezio, Jerry Westlick.

Many thanks to Jerry and his family for their generous hospitality.

Note that those who attended will receive a complimentary CD slide show of Jerry's collection.
WRA

Offline Tluce

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2001, 04:59:00 am »
Hi Bering,
  I wasn't able to attend the Bulb Bash this year (my nephew got married that day), But would be interested in purchasing a CD slide show of Jerry's awsome collection.  How did that Cooper Hewitt Mercury Vapor light look?  Looking forward to next year, Tim Luce

Offline Ed Covington

• http://www.frognet.net/~ejcov/
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2001, 08:33:00 pm »
It was nice of Bill Anderson (bering) to acknowledge the very pleasant 3rd meeting held at the Portage River Museum of Incandescent Lighting. Such a meeting provides the forum in which one can meet other collectors and exchange lamp knowledge on a personal level. A meeting, be it formal or informal, makes collecting more fun, interesting and rewarding. Although it might be difficult for some collectors to attend meetings if they live too far away, it will undoubtedly help if the get-together is held at different locations in future years. If the number of attendees increases sufficiently, perhaps talks could be given by the collectors. Collectors might also consider a publication again, such as the one started long ago by Dr. Hugh Hicks and more recently by Jerry Westlick. Such a publication does require a lot of hard work, as well as access to appropriate literature. Although several persons have attempted to interest collectors in joining a club, for some reason there seems to be little interest in that happening. That's unfortunate because there is great benefit in the existence of such a group. Hopefully, that will happen in the future. Looking down the road a bit further, it should be possible for a collector's club to publish a comprehensive book on the incandescent lamp. That would be a most welcome event. The Rushlight Club, which is interested in pre-electric lamps, has been a highly successful group. I can think of no reason why the same success could not be achieved by collectors of the incandescent lamp. The internet would help greatly in achieving success of some of these goals. The meetings conducted by Jerry Westlick could lead to these other ventures if collectors are willing to come forward and participate.

Offline dean

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2001, 08:55:00 pm »
I had a wonderful time, it was well worth the 6 hour drive. To see Jerry's collection in person confirms what I suspected, The Portage Museum is one of the most important collections of Antique lighting and related material to exist anywhere. Jerry, and all those who attended, are true Gentleman- a rare breed these days. Hats Off to one hell of a collection Jerry. All my best, Dean

[This message has been edited by dean (edited September 26, 2001).]
dean