BULB DISCUSSION BOARDS > Christmas Lighting

Kingston Crystalites

(1/3) > >>

danshill:

I recently found some boxed Kingston Crystalites in my loft and was wanting to know a bit more about them and if they were worth any money as I am considering putting them on ebay.  They are in great condition as is the box and look pretty cool.

Any info would be appreciated

pagey:
Hi, I recently inherited a similar set of Kingston Crystalites from my Grandmother in the UK, they still work and are in the original box also. On one of the lights the holder for the glass tube is missing but they even have an original spare bulb included in the set. I am really not interested in selling them due to the sentimental value but I would like another set if you are interested in selling them to me? Thanks

danshill:
Here is an image of the ones I have.  I have no idea how much they are worth but as you can see all is in good condition with full set of glass tubes and bulbs are in each of the fittings with 2 spares. I have found out so far they date from the 1940s and were made in Hull.   Do you know anything more about them?  I have no idea if these work or not as it is an old plug fitting.

pagey:
Wow!, They are exactly the same as mine and the funny thing is I had no idea where they were made, but my grandmother lived in Hull all her life! I did wonder if Kingston had anything to do with Kingston Upon Hull in the UK. I am from Hull also but I now live in Australia and would love another set to fill the Christmas tree, if you want to sell them please let me know. I love the fact that they were even made in my home city!. I remember my grandmother telling me she bought these on Higher Purchase and had to pay them off over a few months in time for Christmas as money was so tight straight after the war!

Tim:
You've got a classic set of "bubble lights" here.  Bubble lights saw great popularity here in the USA but as I understand it, they weren't nearly as popular in England, thus making English sets even more desirable today.  General bubble light history can be found at the link below if you wish to learn more about their general history, but finding any information on early English sets will be probably be difficult.

http://www.oldchristmaslights.com/bubble_lights1.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version